This consultation closed on 12 April 2013.
The District Council is required to find a permanent site for a Traveller family in order to carry out its duty under housing legislation. The site is needed to suit the needs of a particular Traveller family and one which can accommodate 4 touring size caravans plus a space for a visitor.
We have been guided by the Derbyshire Gypsy Liaison Group in identifying and examining a number of sites within the Derbyshire Dales. Many of those sites have been eliminated from the process in that they did not meet the basic criteria set out in Government Guidance. We have identified a temporary site in Rowsley for which planning permission was granted on 21 March 2013 for a 9 month period.
Having considered many possibilities for a permanent traveller site, including holding public meetings, we are now at the stage where we have identified a preferred permanent traveller site. The intended site is marked on the map [PDF 3.15MB] edged in red.
We are consulting on how to progress this site in a way that causes minimum impact on the community. We would therefore like to know if you have any specific concerns regarding the proposed Traveller site which we might be able to help address.
Please consider the following questions.
- What concerns do you have about using Homesford Wood Yard as a site for a Traveller family?
- How important are the following measures in turning Homesford Wood Yard into a site for a Traveller family to mitigate the impact on the community – fencing, landscaping, security measures, site management, access arrangements, point of contact?
- Are there any other site specific measures you can suggest that would help reduce the impact of the Traveller site on the community?
- If you know that other suitable sites for a Traveller family are available, please give details of the sites' location and the owners, confirming that the owners are willing to accommodate a Traveller family.
- Please add any additional suggestions you have that would help minimise the impact of the Traveller site.
How to submit a response
You can respond to this consultation by the following means:
Online: consultation feedback form
Head of Democratic Services
Deadline for submitting responses is 12 April 2013.
We held a public meeting on 27 March 2013, at 7 pm at Wirksworth Leisure Centre, to which people were invited to attend to express their views in person or to ask any questions relevant to the proposal.