Have your say on our plans to improve Air Quality in Ashbourne.
During 2021 a Declaration of the Air Quality Management Area for exceedance of Nitrogen Dioxide on Buxton Road in Ashbourne. Improving air quality in Ashbourne is important to Derbyshire Dales District Council and we have worked with Derbyshire County Council to prepare actions that will improve air quality in Ashbourne. This is our first action plan and it outlines the action we will take to improve air quality in Derbyshire Dales District between 2023-2027.
The actions put forward in the plan are:
- Action 1: Investigate the use of Urban Traffic Management Control to optimise traffic flows within Ashbourne town centre
- Action 2: Investigate town centre priority or capacity changes to improve heavy goods and other vehicle flows on A515 Buxton Road, Ashbourne
- Action 3: Influence route selection via live traffic information systems
- Action 4: Investigate improved tree canopy pollution dispersal
Wider Air Pollution Preventative Measures
- Action 5: Active Travel Promotion
- Action 5a) St John Street and Dig Street/Compton Public Realm Improvements as part of the Ashbourne Reborn project
- Action 5b) Provision of a Mobility Hub to link a range of transport types.
- Action 6: Provision of Electric Vehicle Charging Points
- Action 7: Business and School Travel Planning support
- Action 7a) Workplace travel plans
- Action 7b) School travel plans
- Action 7c) School Streets
- Action 8: Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) implementation
- Action 8a) Bus priority
- Action 8b) Transport Hub within the Mobility hub to provide information on bus services and demand responsive transport.
- Action 9: Engagement with minerals and logistics companies who use the route for transport of goods
In addition, we are also seeking views on a Clean Air Zone for Buxton Road and 20mph zones in the centre of Ashbourne, which were requested at the Community and Environment Committee 9 February 2023.
Derbyshire County Council also wish to obtain views about the parking spaces on Buxton Road.
Have your say
We now seek views on the actions proposed and we would encourage you to have your say by completing the online questionnaire. The consultation will open on 15 May 2023 and close on 26 June 2023.
The full Air Quality Action Plan is available Draft Air Quality Action Plan for Ashbourne
A public meeting will be held at 6pm on Wednesday 17 May 2023 at Ashbourne Town Hall to provide information on the proposed actions. A drop in session will also take place between 3.30pm and 5.30pm for you to ask questions or seek information.
If you need help completing the questionnaire or wish to receive it in another format please contact Environmental Health on 01629 761212 or email