Recycling in Schools Education (RISE) project works with local schools throughout the Derbyshire Dales to support recycling education.
RISE has a presentation on recycling facts and interactive activities that all children could get involved in, such as;
- ‘guess the amount off bottle tops in the jar’
- a factual quiz
- a word search
- ‘guess which waste belongs in which waste bin’ activity
The Waste Team can also arrange for a recycling vehicle to be brought to your school, (the ones that you see the refuse operatives using around the Derbyshire Dales District).
We can also offer information about improving your school’s recycling rate and composting facts that will improve your school’s eco school status.
For more information on the activities available, to discuss your school's needs or book a date please complete the online interest form and a member of our Waste & Recycling Team will be in touch with you shortly.
We would also like to invite your school to take part in a fun competition. The competition is to create a ‘unique recycling name’ for the recycling vehicles.
These names would be chosen by the Waste & Recycling Team and the winners would have their chosen ‘unique recycling name’ branded on a recycling vehicle.
We would be looking for the best suggestions, from each school.
All entries will need to be in by 31st January 2023 and the winning entry will be drawn in January and announced on our social media pages and DDDC website.
The 5 winning entries will be branded on a recycling vehicle being used around the Derbyshire Dales District Council’s district.
There are also two cash prizes of £50 each for the winning and runners up school’s name, which would be put to a public vote on our social media pages.
The competition will be available for all schools to enter via email
Working in partnership with Serco, we provide a range of waste and recycling services in order to meet your requirements.
In addition to general trade waste collections (residual), we can provide collections of recyclable materials, these include;
- Paper and Cardboard: - This is stored in a 240 litre blue lidded bin, labelled appropriately.
- Plastic, cans and glass: - This is also stored in a 240 litre blue lid bin, labelled appropriately.
- Food Waste: - This can be stored in containers ranging from 23 to 240 litres in size dependent on requirements. The food waste can be placed directly into the appropriate container or in compostable caddy liners.
- Garden Waste: - is stored in a 240 litre green lidded bin. It is for grass clippings, small branches, weeds and other non-food organic material. Garden materials should be placed directly in to the container and not in bags, also no packaging materials. There is an annual subscription charge for this service. The current cost is £50.
Visit our commercial trade waste page for further information on costs, etc.
How do I sign up?
Schools can arrange a collection and order a bin/s by contacting our Waste Helpline:
Phone: 01629 761122