The Government has announced that communities impacted by flooding will benefit from funding support to help them recover from the impact of Storm Babet. If your home or business has been flooded between the dates of 19th October 2023 and 25th October 2023 because of Storm Babet, you may be eligible for support..
Flood Recovery Framework in Derbyshire Dales
We are beginning the roll-out of recovery support for households and businesses affected by Storm Babet between 19 October 2023 and 25 October 2023. We are delivering initiatives through the national Flood Recovery Framework, which supports councils and communities following severe flooding. The assistance will focus on:
- What help is available? Flooded households in affected areas can apply for up to £500 to help with immediate costs and council tax discount for a minimum of 3 months. To be eligible, households will either have been internally flooded in habitable areas (not garages, sheds or cellars) or deemed to be unliveable for a period greater than 48 hours. You may also be able to claim council tax discount for temporary accommodation if you are unable to return to your home.
- How do I apply? If you responded to our survey, we will review the information that you provided to check whether you are eligible for a £500 community recovery grant and council tax discount. We might need to contact you for further information. If you have been affected, but haven’t yet completed the survey do so here
- When will you start to pay the grants? We hope to start making payments by Friday 17th November.
- What help is available? Small-to-medium sized businesses in affected areas may be eligible for a Business Recovery Grant of up to £2,500 to help them return quickly to business as usual. Affected businesses may also be eligible for business rate relief for a minimum of 3 months. We are currently waiting for further guidance on the scheme from the Government.
- How do I apply? Once we have reviewed the government guidance, we will launch an application process for the £2,500 business recovery grant and business rate relief. If you have been affected, but haven’t yet completed the survey, please complete our flood impact survey.
Households and Businesses: Property Flood Resilience Repair Grant Scheme
In addition to the support above, eligible flood-hit property owners may be able to apply for up to £5,000 to help make their homes and businesses more resilient to future flooding via the Property Flood Resilience Repair Grant Scheme. In Derbyshire, the scheme is being administered by Derbyshire County Council. More information is available on the County Council’s website.
Summary of financial support
There are five financial support schemes available:
- Community Recovery Grant - £500 per flooded household. Processed by the relevant district, borough or city council
- Council Tax Discounts – processed by the relevant district, borough or city council
- Business Rates Relief – processed by the relevant district, borough or city council
- Business Recovery Grant – up to £2,500 per flooded business - processed by the relevant district, borough or city council
- Property Flood Resilience Scheme – up to £5,000 towards future flood resilience work – this will be processed by the County Council.