11:00 2 March: Agencies - led by Derbyshire Constabulary - dealing with the extreme weather conditions have issued the following urgent appeal: Do not attempt to drive on the following roads, which are impassable and will be closed for the next 24 hours:
- A515 Buxton to Newhaven,
- A5012 Via Gellia (Pikehall to Newhaven),
- A5270 Coalpit Lane south of Buxton.
Teams continue to work tirelessly to clear snow and grit snowbound routes, particularly in the north of the county, where agencies are urging people not to drive.
Mountain Rescue and Peak 4x4 are assisting the emergency services and the council in helping anyone that is stranded in their vehicles. The Local Resilience Forum, who are coordinating the planning around the severe weather, would like to thank Mountain Rescue and Peak 4x4 and all other volunteers who are supporting the community during this adverse weather.
- Motorists are urged to avoid travel in the north of the county wherever possible as an increasing number of main roads are impassable due to continuous snow fall and high winds causing snow to drift.
- Look out for friends, family and neighbours who may be vulnerable to the cold and ensure they have access to warm food and drinks and are managing to heat their homes adequately
- Stay tuned for weather forecasts, ensure you are stocked with food and medications in advance, have deliveries or ask a friend to help
- Avoid exposing yourself to cold or icy outdoor conditions if you are at a higher risk of cold related illness or falls.