Local Government Ombudsman

Information on contacting the Local Government Ombudsman

If you feel that you have been unfairly treated by a local authority, you can ask the Local Government Ombudsman to investigate your complaint.

The Local Government Ombudsman has a team of staff who will look into the complaint and decide whether maladministration has occurred. Maladministration is when a Council does something in the wrong way, does something it should not have done, or fails to do something it should have done. If the Ombudsman decides that maladministration has caused you injustice, he/she will issue a report that the District Council must consider. The remedy may involve the payment of money or the District Council taking other action to put matters right.

A complaint form and leaflet about the work of the Ombudsman can be obtained from the Local Government Ombudsman office, or are available for download from their website.

Local Government Ombudsman operates an Advice Service which deals with enquiries from people who think they may have a complaint to make.

Ombudsman Reports


Report on an investigation into complaint no 11 022 700 about Derbyshire Dales District Council

Contact Details

The Local Government Ombudsman

PO Box 4771



Tel: 0300 061 0614 / 0845 602 1983

Fax: 024 7682 0001

A-Z of services