Street naming and numbering

How to get a new address

The District Council is responsible for allocating house numbers and road names to new developments and property conversions. Individuals and developers must not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names. We also maintain the definitive record of all street names and property addresses (called the Local Land and Property Gazetteer) which forms part of the Ordnance Survey AddressBase.The District Council carries out these functions under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925. The District Council has a Street Naming and Numbering Policy which includes information from the National Data Entry Conventions and the National Street Naming and Numbering Code of Practice.

Why is street naming and numbering important?

The address of a property is important as many organisations, postal, emergency services and the general public need an efficient means of locating and referencing properties. If a property is not ‘registered’ through the street naming and numbering process it will not appear on the main address database and the owner/occupier will encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, goods and services from a variety of sources (e.g. applying for a credit card, or purchasing goods by mail order). The main address database is used by the council, Royal Mail, all statutory undertakers, emergency services, credit agencies, satellite navigation system suppliers and many private companies.

Apply for a street name or postal number

You should apply if you are building new houses, commercial or industrial premises or undertaking conversions of residential, commercial or industrial premises which will result in the creation of new properties or premises. The application should be submitted once you have received planning permission and are in the early stages of any new build or conversion. Utility companies will ask for an official postal address and postcode to install services. When you submit an application we will assess the fees payable under the Council's charging policy and inform you how much you will need to pay for your application. We will not progress your application until the correct fees have been made.

How long will it take?

If your request relates to a new address on an existing street then, under normal circumstances, we will allocate a postal address within 10 working days from receipt of a valid payment.

If your request involves the naming of new streets, due to the consultation process with local ward councillors and Royal Mail, and under normal circumstances, we aim to allocate a postal address within 8 weeks from receipt of a valid application.

We must create new addresses and road names to comply with national standards. Wherever possible new addresses will always be given a number in the existing street sequence, so emergency services can easily find the property.

Postcodes are created by Royal Mail. They are a sorting and routing instruction for Royal Mail to deliver items of mail quickly and accurately. As part of the address application process we will consult with Royal Mail for a postcode.

Activate a postcode

After Royal Mail allocate a postcode and have been advised of the new address, they add the new postal address into the Not Yet Built file (NYB). Only when a new property is built, occupied and can receive mail, will Royal Mail update the address from the NYB file to the Postcode Address file (PAF)

See Royal Mail's information sheet on how to update an address from NYB to PAF.

Display your property number

When we allocate your new address you are legally required to mark your property with the allocated number (or name) in such a way as to make the mark legible from the street. If you do not do this, organisations will find it difficult to find your property and you may suffer delivery problems.

Apply and pay online

Frequently asked questions

Can I give my house a name?

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can add a name to their property. This can be done informally, but the name will not necessarily appear on address databases. Should you wish to formally register a property name, this can be done via the application link. The Local Authority will check to ensure that there is not another property within the vicinity that they are aware of with a similar name. Interested parties including Royal Mail will be notified of the amended address. Royal Mail will hold the name on their database as an "alias".

Can I rename my house?

Yes, this can be done via the application link. The Local Authority will check to ensure that there is not another property within the vicinity that they are aware of with a similar name. We cannot duplicate existing building names with street names or allocate building names that replicate a business name or could be seen as advertising.

Interested parties including Royal Mail will be notified of the amended address. Land Registry will also be notified and will file the notification against the relevant address, however they will still require formal notification from the owner to amend the register.

How are new street names chosen?

Where new roads are to be constructed, developers can suggest suitable names to the council based upon the following rules. Where possible names should reflect the history of the site or acknowledge the geography of the area.

  • Names of living people are not allowed.
  • Names that could be seen as advertising are not acceptable.
  • Suggested names should be sufficiently unique to avoid confusion or misunderstanding.
  • Names that could be considered offensive will not be accepted
  • An appropriate suffix will be allocated to a name that reflects the physical characteristics of the street.
  • Local Ward Councillors and the relevant Town or Parish Council are consulted on a new street name prior to any approval.

How can I check my address?

Find out who how an address is registered. This data is the information held in the national AddressBase database created by local authorities and presented in partnership with Ordnance Survey.

Who maintains my street?

Find out who is responsible for maintaining your street.

How can I check a postcode?

By using the postcode/address finder service on the Royal Mail website. Addresses in the Not Yet Built (NYB) file are not displayed on the postcode/address finder service.

How can I query my existing address?

If you wish confirmation of your address or have a query about your existing address please contact us on 01629 761230 or by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We can advise if any formal application is then required for a change in your address.

How can I complain about mail delivery problems?

By contacting Royal Mail customer services. Royal Mail is responsible for mail delivery not the council. Please remember if you do not display your property number or name, you will make it difficult for Royal Mail to find your property.

Missing street name plate - how do I report it?

If you have any issues with a missing street name plate or one that requires re-fixing, please use our Report It function or alternatively, telephone 01629 761302

Street name plate requests/reports are assessed, repaired or ordered and installed twice a year. Each request is considered on merit with a site visit usually taking place as part of the process.

We are not responsible for highways directional, warning or brown tourism signs. These should be reported to Derbyshire County Council.

A-Z of services