Self build and custom build register

What is self-build and custom build?

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 requires all Local Authorities maintain and publish a Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register. Both individuals and associations of individuals can apply to register. The register is for people who are seeking serviced plots of the land for self or custom build in the Local Authority’s area.

The information held on the Register will allow the District Council to:check the level of demand in the District for self and custom build; and to develop its housing and planning policies to support the kinds of self and custom build projects that would be most appropriate to its area.

On 1st April 2018, the District Council introduced charging fees and local eligibility criteria for applicants to the register.

Your application will not be processed until payment has been received by the District Council. The fees can be made though the District Council's website following application.

The Register has been split into Part 1 and Part 2 as follows:

  • Part 1 – The requirements for entries on part 1 include:to prove they have a local connection to the area and are in financial position to undertake a self or custom build project. (Applicants are required to submit extra information to support their application in this respect). Successful applications that have satisfied the local eligibility criteria will be placed on Part 1 of the register. The District Council must provide enough planning permission for serviced plots to meet the need. The District Council will notify all applicants on Part 1 of the Register when a suitable plot becomes available.
  • Part 2 - For applicants who are unsuccessful for Part 1 of the Register, have a choice to apply for Part 2 of the Register, and will be required to pay the fee of £25. There is no duty for the District Council to provide plots for entries on Part 2 of the Register, but the District Council is will have regard to this when carrying out planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.

Eligibility Criteria

In line with the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016, applicants must meet the following local eligibility criteria.

Successful applicants will need to prove that they meet the following criteria:

  • applicants have lived in the District (including the Peak District National Park) for at least five years before their application; or
  • Applicants have family members who currently live in the District; or (see definition under FAQ below)
  • applicants have been working in full-time employment (greater than 16 hours per week) in the District for at least three years prior to the application and continue to do so (see definition in FAQ below)

Applicants will be required to submit relevant information to support their application to meet the above criteria. In order to demonstrate that applicants have the financial resources to undertake a self or custom build project the District Council will require applicants to submit additional financial information to support their application. The District Council may seek specialist financial advice in order to assess the financial information.

The following supporting information is to be submitted by all applicants:

  • Proof of savings
  • Estate Agent Valuation for Existing Property
  • Recent Residential Mortgage Statement for Existing Property
  • Proof of household income
  • Any Other Relevant Financial Information, such as funding from other sources.

Registration Form

Please click on the link to complete the self and custom build application form: Derbyshire Dales District Council Self & Custom Build Registration Form

If you are having difficulty filling in the form, please contact the Planning Policy Team

Following your application submission, the District Council will notify you in writing either by email within 28 days of the date the application was submitted.

The District Council cannot consider your application until the relevant fees have been paid.

If your application for entry onto Part 1 of the Register is unsuccessful the District Council will notify you in writing of the reasons and you will be given the option to be entered onto Part 2 of the register.

Eligibility to be entered on Part 1 of the Register is based on the information provided, and assessed against the local eligibility criteria set out above. However if you do feel your applications has been incorrectly assessed, please contact the District Council for details of the appeal process.

Please download the summary of the Derbyshire Dales Self & Custom Build Registration process flowchart.

Annual Registration

If you would like to remain on Part 1 of the Register beyond the initial 12 months registration period, please re-apply using the Derbyshire Dales Self & Custom Build Registration Form. To maintain your registration on Part 1 of the Register, please pay the £50 annual fee. If there is any change in your circumstances or any of your supporting information has become out of date, you must re-submit this information as part of the annual registration form. To maintain your registration, please pay the fee and fill in the annual registration form.

Entries on the Register will be removed after the initial 12-month registration period if: :

  • Applicants no longer meet the eligibility criteria set by the District Council;
  • Applicants has acquired land suitable for building a house; or
  • If an individual or association fails to pay the required fee to remain on the register.

Applicants can request to be removed from the Register before the initial 12 months has lapsed. Please notify the District Council in writing as soon as possible and it will. remove your entry from the Register within 28 days of receiving your request.

If your application is successful or unsuccessful the District Council will notify you in writing within 28 days of receipt of the application.

If you would like to maintain your entry on the Register or make an amendment to your current entry on the Register, the date on which re-registration or amendment will be recorded on your personal file.

Further detailed guidance on filling out the registration form is set out under each question. Many of the questions in the application form are mandatory and must be filled in to allow registration to proceed.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do we mean by 'family members' as part of the local connection criteria?

A family member is defined in S113 and S186 of the Housing Act 1985 as follows: A person is a member of another's family within the meaning of this Part if— (a) he is the spouse [or civil partner] 1 of that person, or he and that person live together as husband and wife [or as if they were civil partners] 2, or (b) he is that person's parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece. (2) For the purpose of subsection (1)(b)— (a) a relationship by marriage [or civil partnership] 3 shall be treated as a relationship by blood, (b) a relationship of the half-blood shall be treated as a relationship of the whole blood, (c) the stepchild of a person shall be treated as his child, and (d) an illegitimate child shall be treated as the legitimate child of his mother and reputed father. Exemptions are stated in clause 39 of the Act.

Exceptional circumstances will be considered at the District Council’s discretion.

Are self-employed applicants eligible?

Applicants that are self-employed will need to meet both the residence criteria and prove that they work more than 16 hours per week to meet the local connection to the area criteria.

Further Information

More Information on self-build and custom house building Please refer to The self-build portal and the National Custom and Self-build Association website for further information.

Please refer to the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (as amended by the House and Planning Act 2016) for further information regarding the Local Authority’s duty to provide plots to meet demand from the register.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the Planning Policy Team.

A-Z of services