Temporary event notices

If you're organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you'll need to submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

A Temporary Event Notice is a form that you provide to the local Council, the Police and Environmental Health Authorities letting them know about the planned event.

There are two types of Temporary Event Notice

  • A standard Temporary Event Notice, which is given no later than 10 clear working days before the event to which it relates; and
  • A late Temporary Event Notice, which is given no earlier than 9 and no later than 5 working days before the event.

When calculating the timescale, you must not include the day that this Council receives your TEN or the day of the event.

When the District Council offices are closed on statutory holidays, such as Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Bank Holiday Mondays, these do not count as part of the 10 or 5 days’ notice and you will need to submit the TEN earlier than usual. If the District Council chooses to close for additional weekdays (non-statutory) then these days will be treated as working days and will count when you are giving TENs to us.

The fee for either type of Temporary Event Notice is currently £21.00.

What qualifies for a Temporary Event Notice?

For the purpose of a Temporary Event Notice, a temporary event is a relatively small-scale event attracting fewer than 500 people.

  • The event must last no more than 168 hours and can be held either outdoors or indoors.
  • Any premises can only be used for 15 temporary events per year – increased to 20 times for calendar years 2022 and 2023 – amendment The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021. Up to a total maximum of 21 days - increased to 26 days for calendar years 2022 and 2023 – The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021.
  • You must be over 18 in order to hold a temporary event.

The total number of TENs that can be given in respect of the same premises during a calendar year is 20 for both 2022 and 2023. The number of days authorised by TENs during the same calendar year at the same premises cannot exceed 26 for this period.

Am I eligible?

If you have a personal licence, you can give 50 Temporary Event Notices (made up of standard and late Temporary Event Notices) a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 5 (made up of standard and late Temporary Event Notices).

If you have a personal licence, you can give 10 Late Temporary Event Notices a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 2 Late Temporary Event Notices.

There must be at least 24 hours between separate events authorised by Temporary Events Notices.

Who can comment on a Temporary Event Notice?

Once the Police Authority and the Environmental Health Authority receive your Temporary Event Notice, they have three working days to make any objections to it on the grounds of any of the four licensing objectives specified in the Licensing Act 2003. These are:

  • prevention of crime and disorder;
  • prevention of public nuisance;
  • public safety;
  • protection of children from harm.

If objections are received, what happens next?

If objections are received to a standard TEN, (one where at least 10 clear working days’ notice has been given) the Licensing Authority will need to organise a hearing to consider the evidence. The Committee may decide that your event cannot proceed.

If there is an objection to a Late Temporary Event Notice (ie one where no less than 5 and no more than 9 days’ notice is given), the event will not be allowed to proceed.

If the Licensing Authority does not receive any objections the event can go ahead as planned.

Regulation summary

For further information about Temporary Event Notices please see the Licensing Act 2003.

Application forms

Apply online

(Please note: to make an online application and payment you will be taken to the GOV.UK website.)

Paper application

If you prefer to download the application form and email it to us, you can make your payment by telephoning 01629 761166. Please provide the following information to the business support assistant taking the payment - Fee = £21:00. Cash Code 9252.

Temporary Event Notice application form [PDF 203KB]

Supporting documents

Temporary event notice guidance notes [PDF 162KB]

If the proposed event will take place in a field or at a similar temporary site, please supply the grid reference in the premises name details and attach a map/plan to the TEN form outlining the exact location where the licensable activities will take place.

Details of TENs (Standard and Late ones) can be found on the Alcohol Licence webpage

What if my application is refused?

If a Counter Notice is given in relation to an Objection Notice received, the applicant may appeal against the decision to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the decision being made. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

TEN Public Registers

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (The Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct or if outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

A-Z of services