Taxi and private hire

Hackney carriage / private hire vehicle licences

The District Council is responsible for the licensing of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles within the district of Derbyshire Dales.

Am I eligible?

To drive either a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle licensed by Derbyshire Dales District Council, the driver must hold an appropriate taxi driver's licence issued by Derbyshire Dales District Council.

To get a vehicle licensed by Derbyshire Dale District Council you must first decide whether the vehicle that you are going to drive is to be a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle. The main differences between Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles are as follows:-

Hackney Carriage or Private Hire?

Hackney Carriage Vehicle

  • Can wait at designated taxi ranks.
  • Can ply for hire or be flagged down.
  • Must be driven by a licensed Hackney Carriage driver at all times.
  • Must display a small yellow internal plate in the front windscreen, a large yellow door sticker which identifies the license number of the vehicle and a large yellow plate adjacent to the rear number plate.
  • Must be fitted with a meter set to the District Council's Table of Maximum Fares, which must be on display.
  • Must meet the requirements of the District Council's Taxi Licensing policy.

Private Hire Vehicle

  • All fares must be pre-booked with the Operator.
  • Must be driven by a licensed Private Hire Vehicle Driver.
  • Do not have their fares regulated by the Council. It is advisable to agree the fare prior to the journey commencing.
  • Must display a small green and yellow internal plate in the front windscreen, a large yellow and greed door sicker which identifies the licence number of the vehicle and a large green and yellow plate adjacent the rear number plate.
  • Must meet the requirements of the District Council's Taxi Licensing policy

Regulation summary

A Hackney Carriage Vehicle licence is issued under the provisions of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, the Public Health Act 1875, Public Health Act 2006 and the Part 11 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976).

The Licence Holder is also required to comply with the provisions of the Transport Act 1985, the Council's vehicle specifications and Vehicle Licence conditions contained in the Councnil's Taxi Licensing Policy.

A Private Hire Vehicle licence is issued under the provisions of Part 11 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976) and Public Health Act 2006.

The Licence Holder is also required to comply with the vehicle specifications and vehicle licence conditions contained in the District Council's Taxi Licensing Policy.

Maximum Age of Vehicles

It is the District Council's policy to only licence vehicles that are under 10 years old.

One exception to this is the purpose built London style taxis, which will be allowed up until eleven years of age. The age of the vehicle will be determined by the period of registration. . If you are in doubt or need clarification regarding the maximum age limit allowed then please contact us.

Please note that the District Council's policy is such that any vehicle that has been written off will not be licensed. All accidents to vehicles once licensed must be fully reported to the Licensing Team and full details of the damage to be supplied. See section Accident Reporting below for further advice.

Application forms

You do not need to make an appointment to submit your application in person. You can email your completed application form and other documents to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and you can arrange to make the payment by telephoning the Licensing Team on 01629 761166.

The Council no longer accepts cheque payments and the preferred method of payment is debit or credit card. Please do not post original documentation (V5/Insurance or MOT) or cash.

  • Application forms for a new Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle licence are available to download or can be requested by email.

The application form must be submitted with the following documents:

  • Proof of ownership (V5/55 Log book)
  • Proprietorship Requisition Declaration
  • A valid insurance certificate

The vehicles are tested at six monthly intervals by the District Council's own staff at our depot based on Harrison Way at Darley Dale.

Vehicle Testing

Vehicles will need to be inspected to ensure compliance with the requirements for the vehicle specification and licence conditions contained in the Council's Taxi Licensing Policy, before a licence is granted. You will need to ring 01629 761345 to book a vehicle test. Failure to attend the test will result in you being charged an additional fee.

Before you submit the vehicle for testing, you must ensure that the vehicle is in good condition, i.e. mechanically sound, bodywork in a satisfactory condition and the engine and full chassis steam cleaned. Owners of vehicles will be subject to a re-test fee in respect of vehicles that do not pass the inspection test and have to be re-submitted for a second test.

What happens when I have obtained my Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle licence?

Once you have obtained your Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle licence, your vehicle can only be driven by drivers who hold a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle drivers licence issued by Derbyshire Dales District Council.

Your licence will be valid for one year only and will be subject to a condition that the vehicle is tested at the Council's depot 6 months after the date of the licence. You will be required to renewal your vehicle licence at least 10 working days before it expires. You will also be required to comply with the District Council's Taxi Licence Policy conditions that apply to all licensed vehicles.

It is important that you read and fully understand the conditions because if you breach the conditions, you will be given penalty points in some instances, but your licence can be suspended or in some cases revoked.

Disabled Passengers

You should also familiarise yourself with meeting the needs of disabled customers.

  • Advice for Disabled People travelling with assistance Dogs in Taxis and minicabs
  • Improving access to Taxis

Accident Reporting

If any licensed vehicle is involved in an accident, this must be reported to the Authorised Officer, in writing, as soon as possible, but in any event within 72 hours (3 days) of the incident using an accident report form.

Where, following an incident resulting in accident or damage to a licensed vehicle, it is the intention of the owner or operator to continue licensed use, the vehicle must be inspected (at the owner’s or operator’s expense) to determine its fitness for continued use. The Council may suspend the use of a licensed vehicle until it is suitably repaired to the Council’s satisfaction.

The District Council will not licence vehicles that have been written off.

A licensed vehicle, which has suffered major accident damage or requires substantial mechanical repair may be replaced by a hire vehicle, provided:

1. The damage to, or defect in, the vehicle has been reported; Application is made in the usual way for a change of vehicle (albeit temporarily); 2. The replacement vehicle meets the Council’s licensing criteria and is suitable to be used for hire purposes;

3. The hiring of the hire vehicle is organised and paid for by the affected licensed owner or operator.

4. The fee for testing the vehicle is paid, (at the time the appointment is booked).

Buying and selling a licensed vehicle

Anyone who buys or sells a licensed vehicle must notify the Council within seven days, in writing.

The Council need to know the details of the new owner of the car and also the previous owner's details. There is no need to re-test the vehicle at this stage but you will be required to complete an application form for vehicle transfer and pay the appropriate Fee.

Make enquiries with the police and also notify the Council in writing of the fact that you have lost your plates. There is a standard charge for replacement of your plates if you cannot recover your originals.

How long does the vehicle licence last for?

Your licence will be valid for one year only. The Council will endeavour to send you a renewal reminder 8 weeks before the expiry date. This reminder is a courtesy service only and it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure that your licence doesn't expire. Please do not post original documents or cash.

Please check that you have the following listed documents when you are ready to submit your application:

Completed and signed application form

  • Vehicle Registration Document (V5/V55)
  • Valid insurance document
  • Evidence that the vehicle has never previously been written off (Used vehicle check)
  • MOT certificate (If applicable)
  • The appropriate fee

A-Z of services