Debt advice

Cost of living crisis

Are you worried about the rising cost of energy bills, food and transport? You are not alone; the cost of living crisis is affecting many of us. Whatever your money worries may be, we've put together some helpful information. There is also a Cost of living support factsheet on GOV.UK.

Advice on getting help with the cost of living is also available from Derbyshire County Council and Citizens Advice.

Help with your council tax

Council Tax Support is not always enough for you to be able to pay your Council Tax bill. If you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship we may be able to help through the Council Tax Discretionary Fund. Find out more on the Council tax support page.

Advice if you rent a house

If you rent a house and you are struggling to pay your rent because of your circumstances or you are on a low household income, you may be eligible for universal credit. Find out if you are eligible on the Understanding Universal Credit website.

If you are State Pension Credit Age or in supported accommodation you may be entitled to Housing Benefit.

Find out what benefits you are entitled to

Turn2Us are a National Charity who provide financial support and advice about what customers may be entitled to. Visit the Turn2Us website to can see what benefits you are entitled to.

Discretionary Housing Payments

The scheme offers help to those claiming Housing Benefit and those receiving the Housing Element within their Universal Credit award, provided you can show that you have a shortfall between the rent you have to pay and the amount of benefit you receive. For those in receipt of Council Tax Support, the Council may also be able to assist with outstanding Council Tax. All applications are assessed based upon household Income/capital and essential expenditure. Please contact the Council on 01629 818222 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Discretionary Housing Payments are funded by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Other organisations that can help

Debt Advice

If you are experiencing difficulties paying any debts, the Council recommends that you contact the Citizens Advice on 0808 278 7954 for independent and free advice. Drop-in services are available within the Derbyshire Dales area - please contact them for further details.

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund (HSF) was originally provided to the County Council by the Department for Work and Pensions to cover the period October 2021 to the end of March 2022. In the Spring Statement the Chancellor announced further HSF funds to cover the summer period up to 30 September. Full details about the fund are available on the Derbyshire County Council website. Find out more at

Help with Energy Bills

The Severn Trent Big Difference Scheme: The Big Difference Scheme can offer a reduction of water bills to any Severn Trent customer with a household income below £16,480.

British Gas Energy Trust. NOT exclusive to its customers. If you are facing bills you can’t afford and struggling with the rising cost of energy The British Gas Energy Trust can help. They are an independent charitable trust set up to support families and individuals facing financial hardship and energy debt across England, Wales and Scotland.

Warm Spaces

As we become aware of warms spaces that are available to visit in Derbyshire Dales we will list them at Derbyshire Dales Warm Spaces.

Food banks

Derbyshire’s food bank network supports residents who are struggling by providing food in times of need.

Find your nearest food bank.

Cost of Living campaign

Derbyshire County Council has launched a Cost of Living Campaign with lots of information and advice about help that you may be entitled to such as community banks and school meal vouchers for children.

Help for veterans

Veterans' Gateway | Royal British Legion Veterans’ Gateway supports veterans and their families to find the help they need.

A-Z of services