Bad state of repair and unsafe housing

The Housing Health and Safety Rating Scheme "HHSRS" is a way to carry out housing inspections, and was introduced by The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (England) Regulations 2005 made under the Housing Act 2004.

If you live in private rented accommodation and you think your landlord is failing to carry out essential repairs, then the Public Health and Housing Team in Environmental Health can investigate your complaint. Officers will carry out an inspection under the HHSRS to assess the condition of the house.

The scheme applies to all properties and is a risk based assessment. Properties are assessed against 29 potential hazards which include such things excess cold, damp, falls on stairs etc. Tackling these hazards will make housing healthier and safer to live in.

When a hazard is identified, it has to be assessed against the following criteria:

  • What is the likelihood of harm occurring
  • If harm occurs, how serious will it be

These scores are then combined to give a hazard rating which is placed in bands between A to J. Bands A to C are rated as the most serious and are called Category 1 hazards and those in bands D to J are Category 2 hazards.

Where category 1 hazards are identified, the Local Authority has to take the most appropriate course of action. Initially this will normally be through informal means. However, if this fails the Council can take enforcement action to resolve the identified hazards.

In the case of Category 2 hazards, then the Council has discretionary powers to deal with them.

Condensation, damp and mould

Condensation, damp and mould are our most common complaint and can be a problem in many households. Please view our advice video below or see our Condensation, damp and mould leaflet for help.

You need JavaScript enabled to display this content.

If you wish to make an enquiry about the condition of a property that you rent, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Energy advice

See our Energy advice page for more information.

Information on other websites

A-Z of services