Register a food business

Register a food business

When you start a new food business, or take over an existing business, you must register with Derbyshire Dales Environmental Health. You should do this at least 28 days before you start trading.

Registration of your business is free and can’t be refused. If you are already trading and have not registered yet, you need to register as soon as possible as this is a legal requirement.

You should register your business on the Portal.

Further guidance on the types of businesses which require registration is available on the Food Standards Agency website

Here are some examples of the type of operations that require registration, this is not exhaustive:

  • Restaurants, cafés and takeaways
  • Making food and selling food from your home
  • Catering businesses run from home, B&B, mobile catering and temporary businesses, marquees, food stalls, food pop ups and food vans
  • Nurseries, schools and care homes
  • Distance selling, mail order and food delivery, including food supplied online or through social media channels and marketplaces.

If you require further clarification on whether your activities require registration please contact the Environmental Health Service

A-Z of services