Apologies but our revenues and benefits systems are currently unavailable due to end of year processing.

Housing benefit appeals

If having received the printed letter explaining the outcome of your benefit claim and you want to ask further questions or need an explanation of anything about the decision on your claim you can request this. This can be done at any time and is called requesting a further explanation.


If you feel that a decision made in the assessment of your Housing benefit is wrong you can ask for that decision to be looked at again. This is called reconsideration and allows a different benefit officer the chance to check that we have got your claim correct.

You must write within one calendar month explaining why you think we are wrong and we will review our decision on your entitlement.

If we decide that our original decision was right, but you still disagree with it, or you think it is wrong, you have the right to make an appeal to an independent tribunal against the original decision.


You should ask us in writing for an appeal. If the reconsideration request is received on time (or is treated as being received on time), you have one calendar month to appeal against the original decision.

Your letter should include:

  • which decision you do not agree with and the date of that decision
  • the reasons why you think our decision is wrong
  • any appeal must be signed by the person affected.

We will then write to you to inform you if we have changed our original decision and provide you with an explanation.

Independent advice

If you would like any independent advice regarding our decisions, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or Age UK who are both based within Matlock Town Hall who will be happy to advise you about your rights and responsibilities. Age UK and the Citizens Advice Bureau give free, impartial and accurate advice on all things related to your benefit claims.

Remember - You can contact us at any time if you need any further information.

A-Z of services