We held our very first ‘Go Green’ event in Matlock's Hall Leys Park on Saturday 30 July.
The free-to-enter event showcased solutions to the climate and biodiversity crisis encouraging residents, businesses and visitors to reduce their carbon footprint by making lifestyle changes such as generating less waste, becoming more active, encouraging biodiversity in their gardens and reducing energy use.
If you were unable to make the event, stalls and displays are listed below.
Please do follow up with these business and organisations directly.
- Home energy improvement and retrofit advice with experts from the 'Carbon Coop'
- Local air source heat pump installer - IMS Heat Pumps Limited – they design, supply, install, service & maintain ground, air and water source heat pumps
- Suppliers of solar panels including local firm Smart Homes Electrical of Bakewell who also offer smart heating, lighting and car charging solutions
- Home insulation supplier Benx and installer Westville discussing options for insulation
- Secondary glazing specialists - Arctic Glaze - who are acknowledged as the UK’s leading specialist designer, supplier and installer of bespoke aluminium secondary glazing. They provide solutions that will substantially increase both acoustic and thermal performance while offering additional security features
- Local sustainability 'champions' TDP of Wirksworth will be at the event - you can find out more about their great work here
- Marches Energy Agency and their Fantastic Home vehicle offering free impartial energy-saving and efficiency advice, helping residents to save money and reduce our community’s climate impact
- Moors for the Future and their ‘Bogtastic’ vehicle - the world’s first bog in a van! Kitted out with artwork, sound and a spongy floor to emulate the experience of being on moorland - helping spread the message that bogs are fantastic.
Groundwork will be showcasing the work they do with volunteers at local sites along with promotion of wider environmental projects and their Green Doctor energy advice service
- Representatives from the Institute of Quarrying and National Stone Centre will be at the event discussing their ambitious plans for a world class visitor centre and institute of excellence in Wirksworth. They have aspirations to achieve a net zero carbon building, built using local products
- Newly formed community energy group Derbyshire Dales Community Energy will be available to discuss their ambitious plans for the district
- We are delighted to be joined by our partners Serco who will be bringing one of their refuse vehicles to the event, demonstrating how our waste is collected and what happens to it after collection
Local suppliers of plastic free products including Refills on the Road
- Woven Earth, Midlands Restoration Hub, will be talking about the idea of co-creating restoration in all its forms - engaging therapeutically with the landscape, local food production, thinking about climate change and flood mitigation as well as experiencing the Derwent Valley's abundant wildlife. Their base is a 120 acre farm close to Matlock
- Dr Bike workshop with Inclusive Pedals offering free bike checks, adjustments and repairs
- The Council's waste team – with recycling demos and interactive games, plus composting advice and information from the Love Food, Hate Waste campaign
- The Council's biodiversity lead, explaining our current initiatives and giving away wildflower seed bombs to encourage improving biodiversity in our gardens
- Derbyshire Wildlife Trust
Come and join us to find out how you can help Bring Birds Back. Find out more about swift streets and the actions you can take to make a difference.
- The Energy Saving Trust - with an electric vehicle and an 'ask the EV expert' on hand
- Artist Paul Evans leading a fun, drop in workshop for all ages based around endangered species, including model making and drawing
- Derbyshire Dales Climate Hub will be holding a community assembly 'Giving local people voice and choice', engaging discussion on 'How to go about making space for nature within Derbyshire Dales'
On the same weekend, the 'Great Big Leather & Leathercraft Event' will be held at Matlock Football Ground. Local business, The Identity Store, will be offering a leather advice and repair shop. A chance to come and learn more about repairing, re-purposing and up-cycling leather goods and understand why leather makes for a long term, durable and sustainable material for many different uses. There are also taster sessions and talks, plus an Artisan Area with local makers.