Scientists are warning that we have a little over a decade to implement urgent action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions before we reach a global tipping point. Action is required at international, national, local and individual level to achieve the carbon reduction levels needed.
Our greenhouse gas emissions:
2019/20 – 807t CO2e
2020/21 – 586t CO2e
2021/22 – 604t CO2e
Overall emissions increased by 3% in 2021-22 but fell by 25% compared to the baseline year of 2019-20.
More details are available in the emissions report.
Tackling climate change is one of the Council’s top priorities. In May 2019 we declared a Climate Emergency and pledged to make the Council carbon neutral by 2030. The Council’s Climate Change strategy and action plan sets out a potential pathway to achieving this aim.
Priorities as part of the plan in respect of our own emissions for 2022/23 are:
- Complete a programme of works to decrease carbon emissions from 3 key sites (the Town Hall, the depot and ABC) through installation of energy efficiency measures, moving away from fossil fuel heating and the installation of solar PV panels
- Install electric vehicle charging points and maintenance equipment at the depot in Darley Dale and develop a plan for the transition to electric vehicles
- Continue to assess the feasibility of developing a small solar PV farm in the district
In addition, in partnership with Freedom Leisure, we will:
- Complete the energy efficiency and carbon reduction programme of works at Ashbourne Leisure Centre. This project is due to complete by August 2022
- Assess the feasibility and costs of reducing emissions from the other leisure centres
We continue to:
- Develop our internal climate change knowledge through Carbon Literacy training and knowledge sharing
- Access government grant funding to improve the energy efficiency of homes where residents are in fuel poverty
- Work with partner authorities to further opportunities for collaborative working, for example on the roll out of electric vehicle charging infrastructure and developing a solution for home energy efficiency improvements where the home owner is able to pay