As we continue the roadmap out of lock down and more businesses re-open, Derbyshire Dales District Council is continuing to work with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to carry out spot checks and inspections on local businesses.
The reopening of the economy means that the opportunity for COVID to spread is increased substantially, so it is critical that businesses shouldn’t become complacent. They still need to have COVID-secure measures in place.
Spot checks and inspections are carried out via calls and visits to all types of businesses to check that measures they’ve put in place to manage the risk from coronavirus, are in line with current guidance. This includes businesses that have continued to operate throughout the pandemic, those that have recently reopened and those due to open in the coming weeks.
The COVID-secure measures businesses should have in place include:
- Risk assessment: every workplace should have a COVID risk assessment. Update it to reflect any changes in legislation or guidance that may impact your work activity
- Social distancing: where possible you should keep people two metres apart. If this is not viable, keeping one metre apart with risk mitigation is acceptable
- Cleaning, hygiene and handwashing: keeping your workplace clean reduces the potential for coronavirus to spread. It is a critical part of making and keeping your business COVID-secure.
- Ventilation and air conditioning can help reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus
- Talk to workers: provide information about providing support and maintaining control measures.
- Working from home: provide the equipment they need, keep in regular contact and discuss their wellbeing
- Vulnerable workers: talk to staff, provide information and consider the risk to workers who are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus – putting controls in place to reduce that risk
The District Council’s Director of Regulatory Services, Tim Braund said:
“We will be talking to local businesses and visiting and inspecting sites across the Derbyshire Dales to understand how they are managing risks in line with their specific business activity.
“All businesses should have COVID-secure measures in place. It is a legal duty for businesses to protect their workers and others from harm and this includes taking reasonable steps to control the risk and protect people from coronavirus.
"This means making business adjustments to be COVID-secure. We advise employers to work with their employees when implementing changes, to help increase confidence with workers, customers and the local community. Our responsibility is to make sure that all measures continue to be taken to keep workers safe as they return to the workplace.”
Please ensure your workplace is safe by following the guidance on being COVID-secure. Further information on spot checks and inspections is available on the HSE website. Safety information for Derbyshire Dales businesses can be found at www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/businessinfo