Measures for residents
- If, as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, you are struggling to make your normal payments – such as Council Tax - then please contact us and we will do what we can to assist by reviewing your instalment dates. You can contact us preferably by email at email@example.com or by telephone on 01629 761222 (normal office hours Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm except on Tuesdays when we start at 10.30am).
- All recovery action against households, including for prior years, has been initially suspended until Tuesday 30th June 2020.
- The Council’s Council Tax Support (CTS) Scheme provides financial support to households with low incomes. We would encourage those who wish to make a claim to do so as soon as possible and we’ll be prioritising these claims to get support to eligible households as soon as we can.
If you wish to claim Council Tax Support please complete our online form or telephone us on 01629 761188.
- The Government has recently announced a £500m Hardship Fund and the Council will be receiving additional funding to further assist those of working age who claim Council Tax Support. Eligible households will receive a credit on their council tax account. This will be £150 or the amount outstanding on your account if lower. You do not need to apply for this, if you are eligible it will be awarded automatically and you will be sent a new council tax bill.
- The government has announced changes to the Housing Benefit calculation in response to the COVID 19 situation. Anyone receiving Local Housing Allowance Housing Benefit (privately rented accommodation) will find their Housing Benefit entitlements increased from 6th April. Some working age claimants, who receive Working Tax Credit attract ‘an additional earnings disregard’ of £17.10 per week. This is set to be increased, again from 6th April, to £37.10 per week. We will be reassessing all claim entitlements affected by these changes automatically and issuing new printed letters that explain your revised entitlements. These letters will be issued in early April and will replace previous correspondence sent out.
We are aiming to do this as soon as possible but need to ask for your patience as we implement these major changes to our systems and payment processes.