Two students from Matlock's Highfields School and a representative from the Derbyshire Climate Coalition made statements on the motion at a full meeting of the Council on Thursday 30 May. The debate can be viewed below.
The District Council has pledged to:
- Declare a Climate Emergency
- Make Derbyshire Dales District Council carbon neutral by 2030
- Call on the UK Government to provide the powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible
- Work with partners across the county and region to deliver this new goal through all relevant strategies
- Report back to Council within six months with the actions the Council will take to address this emergency