Local volunteers put off by weather conditions earlier in the month, were not deterred when they re-arranged their litter picks and clean ups as part of this year’s Great British Spring Clean.
- Jayne Judson of South Darley Parish Council told us ‘Our litterpick event was conducted on Saturday with an excellent turn out’.
- Val, a volunteer from Alkmonton & Cubley commented ‘We have made a start on cleaning our road and we have filled four bags so far. We found three tyres, a TV, lawn mower box, car jack and an oil can'.
- Members of Doveridge WI were out collecting waste on the cycle track from Doveridge to Uttoxeter, slip roads onto the A50, round the village and Old Derby Road towards Sudbury.
- ‘We're so thrilled, not perfect turn out for litter picking but the village looks MUCH better’. Sue, Brailsford
- Mick Tunnicliffe of Longford Parish Council told us that ‘The Longford litter pick went very well, about 10 of us spent various times from 1hr to 3hrs on Saturday morning picking up around the village, we collected about 10 bags full, which my wife and I sorted into landfill and recycling.'
At the Brailsford litter pick, one of the intrepid litter pickers was a nonagenarian who says her osteoporosis means she's already half way down to the ground anyway, so might as well pick up the rubbish. I think she earns a medal or at least a Girl Guide badge for caring for the environment!’. She told organiser Sue that she actually felt better for doing the litter picking!
Further activities are planned in the coming weeks including litter picks in Wirksworth, Ashbourne, Tissington and Bakewell.