Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 came into force on 1 January 2005. It gives you the right to request all types of recorded information held by public authorities. The act specifically states that any person making a request for information to a public authority is entitled:

  1. to be informed in writing by the public authority whether it holds information of the description specified in the request
  2. if so, to have that information provided to them within 20 working days.

If you wish to obtain any information from us then you should first check whether it is contained within our Publication Scheme and, if not, submit an online request

Publication Scheme

The Freedom of Information Act requires all public authorities, which includes the Derbyshire Dales District Council, to adopt and maintain a FOI publication scheme [PDF 194KB]. The scheme commits us to make information available to the public as part of our normal business activities.

The idea of the scheme is to let everyone know what information will be automatically, or routinely, published by us. The way that the Act does this is to require that the scheme specifies classes of information.

Making a request

If you can't find the information through the publication scheme, then you can make a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act. Requests must be in writing, must contain a name and address for us to contact you, and must describe the information you want in enough detail that we can find it.

You can make a request by online form, email or letter. We recommend that you make your request in writing using our online form so that we are clear about what you require.

All requests that we receive under the Freedom of Information Act will be dealt with promptly, and we will aim to respond no later than 20 working days after we receive the request.

Please note that we may charge a fee for providing you with the information, to cover the costs of printing, photocopying and postage. We will let you know if a fee applies to your request.

Exempt information

We may not be able to release all information that is requested. There are 23 classes of exempt information defined in the Freedom of Information Act such as personal data and commercially sensitive data. If we are unable to supply you with the information, we will let you know and explain which exemption applies and why we cannot give you the information.

Disclosure log

The Disclosure Log lists all the Freedom of Information requests and officer responses. It is in an EXCEL format and is updated monthly. It was last updated 31/08/2023.

Freedom Of Information Disclosure Log October 2023

For further information on the Disclosure Log please contact the Freedom of Information Team (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

Data Protection

All personal information provided to Derbyshire Dales District Council will be held and treated in confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. It will only be used for the purpose it was given. Some personal data may be shared with trusted partners such as Serco and Chesterfield Borough Council to enable the Council to respond your request.

Common Freedom of Information requests

Below are a set of links to information for some of the more frequently asked Freedom of Information requests we receive:

If you've been unable to find the information you want from this page and would like to make a new request please complete our online request form.

Charging for Information

Information on the potential charges for providing information under the Freedom of Information Act.

Under the Freedom of Information Act the Council may charge for providing information.

The charges can include:

  • Prescribed Costs, which the Council will incur in determining if the information requested is held, finding it and retrieving it.
  • Disbursements, which include the cost of reproduction (paper, toner, etc.), postage, and providing information in a specific format if required.

The regulations give a figure of £25 per hour for the purposes of calculating prescribed costs. This equates to around 18 hours of staff time. If the prescribed costs are less than £450, information is provided free of charge. If, however, prescribed costs exceed £450, the Council is not obliged to provide the information. If you require information on charges please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If you refuse to pay the fee stated by the Council, we do not have to make the information you have requested available.

Environmental Information

The council is entitled to charge "a reasonable amount" for making environmental information available. The Council will normally seek to recover the disbursement cost of providing environmental information. However, where the information is subject to a statutory charging regime, those charges will be applied.

Guidance on the re-use of public sector information for purposes other than personal use.

An application may be made to re-use information held by the Council. RI-use' means using the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the document was originally produced. This could include a commercial purpose.

Request to Re-Use Information

Email all requests to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

To be valid a request must:

  • be in writing
  • state your name and address
  • specify the document which you want to re-use

We must respond to your request within 20 working days. Sometimes it is necessary to extend the time limit. When this happens we will notify before the deadline, explaining why we're extending and the new deadline date.

We will either make the requested document available for re-use, offer you the document with certain conditions or re-use or refuse the request.

Mot documents are delivered electronically to allow for re-use.

The Council do not have to create or adapt a document in order to comply with a request for re-use. It is also not required to provide an extract from a document where it would involve disproportionate effort or produce a certain type of document just so that someone else can re-use it.

Refusing Requests

Requests for re-use can be refused if:

  • the document contains information in which intellectual property rights are owned by a third party such as architectural drawings which the Council has commissioned from an architect who retains the copyright;
  • the content of the document is exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000;
  • the document falls outside of the Council's statutory functions.

If your request is refused, we will inform you of the reasons, your rights to appeal and the processes you can go through.

Where refusal is based on intellectual property rights, we will tell you who owns the relevant rights, where we know the information from, or the name of the person we obtained the document from.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I expect to receive the information?

We will make every effort to provide you with the information as soon as possible and in any event within 20 working days. The time limit can be extended by a reasonable period if a qualified exemption applies and we need additional time to consider the public interest test. We will let you know if we need to extend the time period.

Will I receive all the information I have asked for?

Not necessarily. We will not release information which we do not hold and will not deal with your request if we consider it to be repeated or vexatious.

The Act also contains a number of exemptions to protect information that should not be released into the public domain. We will not release information where one of the exemptions applies.

We will not process requests if it would cost more than £450 [equating to 2.5 days or 18 hours work].

What if I am not happy with the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are unhappy about the way your request has been dealt with or wish to object to our decision to refuse to provide you with certain information, you should complain in writing to the Chief Executive.

If you are still not happy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

A-Z of services