Subject Access Requests

We deal with requests from individuals for personal information in accordance with the Information Commissioner's Office Subject Access Code of Practice.

The UK GDPR does not set out formal requirements for a valid request. Therefore, an individual can make a subject access request verbally or in writing, including by social media. They can make it to any part of your organisation and they do not have to direct it to a specific person or contact point - ICO Guidance. While it is not compulsory, it would be helpful if you could make your request by completing a Subject Access Request Form. You will also be asked to provide evidence of your identity. If you are requesting a copy of CCTV footage, we would also need a description and full colour photograph of yourself.

It would be helpful if you could provide us with details to help us identify the specific information you want from us. An open ended request for access such as "Give me a copy of all the information you hold on me" will not be sufficient to enable us to locate what you want. It will help us deal with your request more efficiently if you include the type of information you want, department where it may be held, dates of documents, relevant time periods etc.

Can I request CCTV footage?

Yes. If you would like to request CCTV footage under a Subject Access Request please complete and return the CCTV SAR [PDF 85.6KB] form and return it to the town hall or by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Can someone else make the request on my behalf?

Yes. You can ask a third party, such as your Solicitor to make the request for you. We will need to ensure that the third party making the request is entitled to act on your behalf and would expect to see written authority from you.

Will I have to pay for the information?

No, as of the 25th May 2018 the £10 fee for a subject access request was removed. In certain circumstances, the District Council may be able to charge you towards the administration costs of dealing with the request e.g. printing/photocopying. We will inform you in advance if any charges apply to your request.

When can I expect to receive the information?

We will make every effort to provide you with the information as soon as possible and in any event within 30 calendar days.

In certain circumstances the District Council can extend the deadline by a further 60 days; the Council will let you know whether or not the deadline will be extended within 30 calendar days of the request being accepted.

The time limit starts to run from when you have confirmed your identity.

Will I receive all the information I have asked for?

Not necessarily. Sometimes your personal information may contain information about other people. You are only allowed to access information about you and we may withhold or edit information relating to other people.

The Act also contains a number of exemptions which allow us to withhold personal information about you, if providing you with the information could prejudice:

  • The way a crime is detected or prevented;
  • The apprehension or prosecution of offenders; or
  • The assessment or collection of a tax or duty.

What if I am not happy with the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are unhappy about the way your request has been dealt with or wish to object to our decision to refuse to provide you with certain information; you should follow our complaints procedure contacting our Data Protection Officer in the first instance.

If you are still not happy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

A-Z of services