Derbyshire Dales Built Sports Facilities, Playing Pitch and Open Space Strategy
In order to grow the number of people being physically active, It is essential that as a District, we have the right amount and quality of sport and recreation facilities and open space needed to help make this happen.
The resources below enable any organisation, club, school or group operating within the Dales to plan their approach to developing new or improved facilities effectively and also access a range of support on offer to help along the way.
Our district wide strategy developed in partnership with Sport England, Peak District National Park Authority, National Governing Bodies of Sport and through extensive community consultation, sets the direction for future requirements.
The strategy is split into three sections, each containing a report identifying the need for a range of facilities geographically and by sport/activity.
- Indoor Facilities Strategy and Action Plan 2016-2037 (March 2017) Sports Facilities
- Indoor and Built Facilties Needs Assessment March 2017 [PDF 403KB]
- Playing Pitch Strategy and Action Plan July 2017
- Playing Pitch Assessment Report February 2017
- Open Space Study Standards Paper January 2018 [PDF 320KB]
- Open Space Study Assessment Report November 2016 [PDF 1.8MB]
A number of high level priorities have emerged in completing the this strategy and are listed below.
- To develop at least one 3rd/4th generation full size, artificial turf pitch (currently 0)
- To work with secondary schools to improve the level of community use at evenings and weekends
- To support community groups/clubs to be more involved in running community sport facilities
In addition to the high level priorities, a large number of other priorities have been identified these are detailed in the strategy documents above.
Sport England also have a vast range of resources available to assist organisations plan their approach including an excellent section for schools with aspirations to develop greater community use.
Derbyshire Dales Playing Pitch Strategy Refresh January 2019
As stated in the strategy which was adopted in January 2018, the playing pitch strategy has been refreshed and approved by the Strategy Steering Group which can be found here.
Refresh for next year will commence in September and will be published here in January 2020.
Planning a project?
If you are considering planning a project, please contact us using the details below if you would like your project to go into our annual refresh and we will ensure you utilise the relevant support and guidance that is available to you.
Sport & Health Development Officer
(T) 01629 761385