Food premises registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the District Council.  Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.  

All food business operators must register their establishments, except for businesses which require approval, e.g. those involved in dairy product manufacture and meat product manufacture.

This registration is free of charge.

Am I eligible?

eugo logoThe applicant must provide full details of themselves and their business together with any other information we request. Certain professionals are exempt from the registration process.

Exemption is also granted to premises used only by businesses already registered or licensed under certain schemes connected with food legislation and businesses that pose a very low risk to health. For a complete list of exemptions, please contact us. The only changes about registered premises which must be notified to the District Council a change of proprietor or a change in the nature of the business. Although premises may be exempt from registration this does not mean that they are exempt from the provisions of the Food Safety Act 1990, nor does it mean that they do not need to comply with food hygiene legislation.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before opening, even if the business was registered by the previous occupier.

Regulation summary

Food Safety Act 1990

How will my application be evaluated?

This is a registration process only and your application cannot be refused.

What if I don't hear back within the specified time?

If you have not heard from us within 28 working days,  you will be able to act as though your registration has been approved.

Apply online

Apply for a food premises registration

Update your food premises registration

What happens if my registration is refused?

This is a registration process only and your application cannot be refused.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, please contact the District Council in the next instance.

If you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public registers

Please contact the Environmental Health Section for further information.


Safer Food better Business

The Safer Food, Better Business pack has been developed by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to help small catering businesses (eg restaurants, cafes and takeaways) comply with hygiene regulations.

The Safer Food, Better Business pack is free. Once you have demonstrated your safe methods to ensure food safety, daily checks recorded in the diary supplied in the pack should only take a few minutes each day. Your business and customers will benefit from this valuable food safety approach.