Pleasure boats

To hire out water-bound pleasure crafts (including sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motor boats, pedalos and larger boats) that are used for personal use or carrying passengers, you need a licence.

You must not carry more passengers than you are licensed to carry.

Licences are renewable annually and the application fee from 1st April 2022 is £43.50.

Am I eligible?

Eugo logoAn applicant must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • have a certificate of compliance with the British Waterways Standards (issued by an approved Marine Surveyor)

Regulation summary

Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907

How will my application be evaluated?

Please contact the Licensing Team for further information.

What if I don't hear back within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact the Licensing Team.

Apply online

Apply for a boat hire licence - service not currently available.

Renew your boat hire licence - service not currently available.

Update your boat hire licence - service not currently available.

Download WORD version of application form here Application Form [WORD 42 KB]

Download PDF Version of application form PDF Version of Application Form [PDF 85 KB]


Payment can be made by telephoning 01629 761166. Please quote cash code 9192.

What happens if my application is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance. If you are refused a licence, or refused a licence renewal you may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the owner of the business - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, please contact the Licensing Team for assistance.

If you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public registers

Contact the Licensing Team for details of boatman and boat licences.