A restricted boatman's licence applies to persons/operators on the shore or pier only and does not include the navigation of pleasure craft to be used for carrying passengers for hire.
A full boatman's licence applies to persons/operators who assist in the charge and navigation of pleasure boats, craft or vessels to be let for hire or be used for carrying passengers for hire.
Am I eligible?
- over 18 years of age
- have a full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulation and byelaws applicable to navigation on the water or waters for which the licence is required
- not suffer from any disease or physical disability which could effect his/her fitness to assist in the charge of pleasure boats, vessels or craft let for hire.
In order to qualify for a Full Boatman's Licence an applicant must be:
- over 18 years of age
- have full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulations and byelaws applicable to navigation on the water or waters for which the licence is required
- Not suffer from any disease or physical disability which could effect his/her fitness to assist in the charge of pleasure boats, vessels or craft let for hire
- Applicants are asked to complete a declaration as to their fitness. Matters to be considered are any limb defect which restricts mobility or movement, epilepsy, fainting or cardiovascular problems and mental illness.
What if I don't hear back within the specified time?
Tacit Consent will not apply to this type of application as it is in the public interest that we must process your application before a licence can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days , please contact the Licensing Team.
How to apply
Apply here via the following link [WORD 33 KB] for a Boatman licenceDownload PDF Application form via the following link https://www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/images/documents/B/Boatmans_Licence_Application_Form.pdf [PDF 140 KB]
Licences are renewable annually and the application fee from 1st April 2020 is £41:00.
You can email your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and call 01629761166 to make the payment. Please quote cash code 9192.
If you are having problems applying please contact the Licensing Team.
What happens if my application is refused?
Please contact us in the first instance by emailing email@example.com
You will have the right of appeal against a decision - you would make your appeal to the local magistrates' court, after the decision notice has been published.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made by you with the business proprietor - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, please contact the Licensing Team for assistance.
For information relating to boatman licences granted, please contact the Licensing Team.