Responsible authorities

The Licensing Act 2003 specifies which other statutory authorities, in addition to the District Council, will have a say in how your application for a licence to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or provide late night refreshment, in Derbyshire Dales, is granted.

In your licence application you must detail how you will ensure that the licensing objectives, stated in the legislation, would be promoted and not undermined, if your licence is granted. 

The 4 licensing objectives are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

The responsible authorities will consider these measures and may suggest others that you might want to include in your application. If agreed, these measures will be translated into conditions and attached to your licence, if it is granted.

The responsible authorities are:

  • The Licensing Authority at Derbyshire Dales District Council
  • Derbyshire Constabulary, Buxton Division
  • Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, Buxton Area Office
  • Derbyshire Dales District Council's Environmental Health Section
  • Derbyshire Dales District Council's Planning Section
  • Peak District National Park Authority (planning authority for the Peak District area of Derbyshire Dales)
  • Health and Safety Executive, Nottingham (for premises not inspected by the Council for health and safety purposes)
  • Derbyshire County Council's Trading Standards Section
  • Derbyshire County Council's Local Safeguarding Children Board
  • Derbyshire County PCT (Primary Care Trust) at Derbyshire County Council

Before you submit your completed application to Derbyshire Dales District Council, the Licensing Authority, you should talk to the responsible authorities about your application.  This could resolve any queries and save time during the 28-day consultation period, once your application has been submitted to the Licensing Authority.

Here are the contact details [WORD 45 KB] for each of the responsible authorities.

If you cannot find the information you require or you wish to discuss your query, please contact the Licensing Team.