Caravan and camping site

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year, you require a licence from the District Council.

Before you apply for a site licence, you will need to discuss the development with Development Control for planning permission purposes.  A site licence cannot be issued until such permission is obtained.

Conditions may be attached to the licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for habitation or restricting the number of caravan on the site
  • controlling the types of caravans there position or regulating the use of structures and vehicles including tents
  • ensuring steps ate taken to enhance the land, fire safety controls and ensuring sanitary and other facilities are maintained.

The cost of registration is £0.00 (currently no fee for this licence)

Am I eligible?

eugo logoAn applicant must be entitled to use the land for a site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Regulation summary

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (caravan sites)

Public Health Act 1936 (camping sites)

What if I don't hear back within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact the Licensing Team.

Apply online

Apply for a camp site licence

Update your camp site licence

Transfer your camp site licence

Apply for a caravan site licence [PDF 21 KB]

Update your caravan site licence

What happens if my application is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance. If you are refused a licence, or refused a licence renewal you may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the Crown Court against a decision of a Magistrates' Court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the owner of the business - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, please contact the Licensing team for assistance.

If you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public registers

Our on-line register is currently being reviewed. Please contact the Licensing Team for information contained in the public register.

Trade associations

British Holiday & Home Parks Association

Caravan Industry Training

Federation of Tour Operators

Group Travel Organisers Association

Hotel Marketing Association

National Caravan Council