Economy and business profile download
Welcome to the Derbyshire Dales
A high quality rural environment in the middle of England, the Derbyshire Dales offers a superb location for doing Whether you're thinking of starting a new business, want to locate an existing business or looking to expand, the Derbyshire Dales is for you.
The Dales has a thriving and productive local economy. Beyond the traditional sectors of farming, tourism and quarrying, it is home to numerous innovative businesses including design firms, high tech companies and small and medium sized manufacturers, serving both national and international markets.
Business density, survival rates and GVA are high compared with other rural areas, with many businesses capitalising on their connection with the Peak District to help promote products and services and increase market share.
10 reasons to invest in the Derbyshire Dales...
Choose the Derbyshire Dales to start-up, relocate or grow your business and you'll benefit from first class business support, local knowledge, access to business networks and more....
1. One-to-one support with re-location or growth plans including advice on supply chain contacts, recruiting staff and local training providers.
3. Access to a high number of skilled people (with degrees or NVQ level 3+) and competitive labour costs.
4. Access to school leavers with good qualifications and a wide range of apprenticeships area also available to younger people.
5. Sector strengths and supply chain opportunities - including in manufacturing, engineering, visitor economy, food & drink and creative and digital industries
6. Business accommodation to suit a range of needs - including smaller workshops, large factory premises and high quality office space in both town and rural locations.
7. A comprehensive searchable database of available sites and premises, local intelligence from the Economic Development Team and further support from the Derbyshire Economic Partnership.
8. A 'one-stop-shop' approach to accessing local services - such as planning and regulatory advice, and information on the Better Business for All programme.
9. Investment in rural broadband - fibre technology is being rolled out via the Digital Derbyshire programme www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk.
Find out more by ordering (call 01629 761211) or downloading a copy of Grow your business in the Derbyshire Dales [PDF 3.8MB].
Location, location location....
Surrounded by cities, from the Derbyshire Dales you can be in the centre of Sheffield or Derby in about 20 minutes by road. The M1 corridor lies directly to the east (20 minutes from Matlock), giving easy access to the north and south of the country. There is a direct train service to Derby (35 minutes from Matlock) and the Hope Valley line connects with Sheffield and Manchester. Manchester, East Midlands and Robin Hood airports are all within an hour or so's drive.
The northern half of the Derbyshire Dales lies within the Peak District National Park between Manchester and Sheffield, the southern part borders the National Forest and the City of Derby.
A special place to live and work...
Home to some 71,000 people, the Derbyshire Dales offers an excellent quality of life amidst stunning countryside with endless opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors. Here you can leave congestion behind and enjoy an ideal living and working environment, not far from our city neighbours.
Distinctive rural market towns and picturesque villages offer a range of homes and the opportunity to get involved in local community life. The crime rate is low and unlike many rural areas there are excellent local leisure facilities with swimming pools and fitness facilities available - the area even boasts its own outdoor pool at Hathersage. Cyclists enjoy traffic-free trails through superb countryside. Primary healthcare services are widely accessible and there are several world-renowned specialist hospitals within reach in the surrounding cities.
Good primary schools in all the towns and many of the villages mean that families benefit from a rural lifestyle without children travelling too far to school. There are high performing secondary schools in each town, with free school buses bringing pupils in from the outlying villages.
Few places in England offer this combination of an unrivalled business location and rural lifestyle with all the facilities you need on your doorstep.
A supportive business network....
Business Peak District (www.businesspeakdistrict.com) represents the business community and works with the District Council and other Peak District local authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships and other organisations to help improve the conditions for economic growth.
Your business can be part of this network, benefitting from training and networking events and regular communications. The prospectus shows how the Peak District stands apart as a business location, identifies the business sites within the area and showcases many of the innovative businesses already here.
An inspiring place...
A strong local identity enables businesses to derive competitive advantage from their association with the Peak District. Companies here are proud of their association with Britain's first national park and find it an inspiring place to do business.
Over 250 businesses, both large and small, have already adopted the 'Inspired by the Peak District' logo and benefit from this local identity. By using it on packaging, websites and transport the brand provides a sense of place and helps strengthen a company's own brand.