English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish


If you wish to appeal against the Rateable Value of your business you should contact the Valuation Office Agency.

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS - website www.rics.org) and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV - website www.irrv.org.uk) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the
necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Please note that submitting an appeal does not allow you to withhold payments. However, if your appeal is successful you will be refunded any rates that have been overpaid.

Appeals in respect of decisions or determinations that the District Council has made are dealt with initially by the Council.

If you think that the District Council has made an error either as to the facts or interpretation of the law you should contact the Business Rates Section in order that the matter may be resolved.  If the matter cannot be resolved locally, then it may be referred to the Magistrates Court for a decision.  In these circumstances there is a further right of appeal to a higher Court.  You are strongly recommended to seek legal advice before any such appeal is contemplated.

Revenues Services

Town Hall, Bank Road
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NN
01629 761 222
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.