What is the Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Supplementary Planning Document?
The intention of this publication is to guide and advise shop owners, occupiers and developers on how to improve the visual quality of the shopping area of which they are part, maintain its special historic character and contribute to the long term benefit that this would bring to the local shopping centres and district as a whole.
Derbyshire Dales District Council is committed to achieving a high standard of shopfront design. The guide serves the following main purposes:
- To expand upon Local Development Plan Policy to provide more detailed and practical design advice for the alteration and replacement of shopfronts.
- To inform the reader of:
- Principles of Design: Quality, relationship to the building, scale and proportion, context.
- Elements: stall riser, doorways or entrances, doors, glazing, roller shutters, pilasters, console brackets, fascia, cornice, canopies.
- Paint colour
- Advertisements: Fascia boards, hanging or projecting signage, letter on render.
- Security: Lighting, alarm boxes, external roller shutters
- Automatic Telling Machines
- To offer greater certainty to owners / developers in understanding the aspirations of the Council.
- To be used in the determination of planning applications
Adoption 15th March 2019
Following the Adoption of the Local Plan the Council has refreshed the Shopfronts and Commercial Properties SPD. A six week consultation period ran from the 18th January to the 1st March 2019.
The Shopfronts and Commercial Properties: Supplementary Planning Document can be seen here.
Copies of the Supplementary Planning Document and the Consultation Statement, which outlines the Council’s response to the main issues raised on the draft consultation, and the Adoption Statement are available for inspection at the following locations:
- Derbyshire Dales District Council, Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock DE4 3NN
- The Arc Leisure Centre, 1 Bakewell Road, Matlock DE4 3AZ
- Matlock Library, Steep Turnpike, Matlock DE4 3DP
- Ashbourne Leisure Centre, Clifton Road, Ashbourne DE6 1DR
- Ashbourne Library, Compton, Ashbourne DE6 1DA
- Wirksworth Leisure Centre, Hannage Way, Wirksworth DE4 4JG
- Wirksworth Library, Town Hall, Wirksworth DE4 4EU
The Supplementary Planning Document will apply to that part of the Derbyshire Dales District Council area for which it is the local planning authority, excluding the Peak District National Park.
Any person who considers that the Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Supplementary Planning Document has not been prepared in line with the relevant Statutory requirements may apply to the High Court for permission to apply for judicial reviews of the decision to adopt the Supplementary Planning Document within three months of its adoption.
Adopted SPD Documents
- Adopted Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 2.45MB]
- Consultation Statement March 2019 [PDF 136KB]
- Adoption Statement March 2019 [PDF 107KB]
- press release [92 KB]
Consultation Documents 2019
- Draft Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 2.5 KB]
- Consultation Statement January 2018 [PDF 106KB]
- Community and Environment Committee Report 10th January 2019 Agenda Item 10 [weblink]
- Press Release [PDF 38KB]