Advice about finding a home

Looking for affordable housing in the Derbyshire Dales?

There is a range of different housing options available, depending upon your circumstances. With the demands for social housing ever increasing, not everyone will be successful in applying for a council or housing association home so please be aware of the other options that may be open to you.

Social housing

With social housing (renting from a council or housing association) you tend to have more security of tenure and guarantees of service such as repairs. Rents are generally lower than if you rent privately, but this gap is narrowing. Demand for social housing can be high however, so if you are not in urgent housing need, you may struggle to find a home in the area you want.

If you need an adaptation to your home due to illness or disability, you may find that funds for adaptations are limited. We suggest you talk to your local Home-Options team to find out about a move to a more suitable property instead.

The Council works with Platform Housing Group, Nottingham Community Housing Association, Peak District Rural Housing Association and other registered social landlords to provide homes that meet the needs of our community.

Home-Options is the Choice Based Lettings scheme for the Derbyshire Dales. It is the way to apply for social housing in the district.

Social landlords advertise their empty properties on the Home Options website. You can then search for an empty property that meets your needs, in a place where you want to live.

For more information and to apply to Home-Options click Home-Options "How to apply".

Private rented accommodation

Private landlords offer a wide range of accommodation, often in areas that councils and housing associations cannot. They tend to offer properties on six monthly tenancies, which can be renewed if they are happy with the way you have managed your tenancy. You don't have the same security of tenure, but the shorter tenancies and higher mobility can work for people who need to move frequently. Rents can be higher than in social housing so if you need help with your rent, check out the Local Housing Allowance before you commit to a tenancy.

Supported housing and move-on

There is a range of supported housing options available across the Home-Options area. Supported housing offers vulnerable people an opportunity to learn independent living skills in a safe environment. The Home-Options Partnership supports move-on into independent living - talk to your local Home-Options team for further information.

Home ownership

Outside the traditional route to buying your home, there are a number of schemes to help you get on the property ladder. We advertise shared ownership and discounted properties on the website. You can find out more about home ownership by visiting the Government's Help to Buy website GOV.UK - "Help to buy".

Mutual exchange

If you are already a social housing tenant, you may be able to advertise your home for a mutual exchange.

You advertise your home to other tenants who are looking for a move. If you find someone with whom you want to swap homes, your landlord will carry out some checks to make sure the properties are suitable for swapping and that there have been no problems with the tenancies. If everyone is OK, you arrange a date for a move and off you go. Your landlord may also subscribe to other mutual exchange schemes - ask them for details.

Visit the Exchange Locata website for more information Exchange Locata.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing is purpose-built accommodation with care and support for older and vulnerable people.

Extra care housing offers you the opportunity to live independently while having the reassurance of staff on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Additional support can also be arranged for those who need it.

If you would like to know more about Extra care housing, click here to visit the Derbyshire County Council website Extra care housing in Derbyshire - Derbyshire County Council.

A-Z of services