Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Full Service Universal Credit has 'rolled out' in the Derbyshire Dales. This means that if you are working age (16 to 64 years of age) you can no longer claim Housing Benefit with the Council and instead claim Housing Cost assistance within your Universal Credit award. 

Anyone who is retired or of pensionable age can still claim Housing Benefit with the Council. Persons living in Supported Accommodation (Hostel, Temporary Accommodation or tenancies where general care and support are provided) are also exempted from this change and may still claim Housing Benefit.

To check if this affects you visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit 

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people (not pensioners) on a low income and is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. It is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit.

Contact Matlock Jobcentre if you require assistance with claiming Universal Credit, or if you ned further advice about possible entitlement.

Jobcentre Plus – 2 Lime Grove Walk, Matlock DE4 3FD

Tel 01629 773000

The criteria for claiming Universal Credit is extended regularly and you should check the Department for Work and Pensions Universal Credit service.

How to claim

Claims for Universal Credit should be made online at www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

If you haven't got your own pc, then try to use a computer belonging to a friend or member of your family.

If this isn't possible, you can use a computer free of charge at Matlock Job Centre or at your local library.

Before making a claim, you need to gather the following information and have it ready:

  • your postcode
  • your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that's not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you're getting
  • You might also need these details for people who live in your home, e.g. your partner.

Existing benefit claimants

If you're already claiming any benefits you don't need to do anything. You'll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

Universal Credit includes housing costs

Any help you get with your rent will be included in your Universal Credit payment and you will be responsible for paying your landlord. In some circumstances payments can be made direct to the landlord, for example, when there are rent arrears or threat of eviction or you find it difficult to manage payments.

Further information for landlords and tenants to help them prepare for the move to direct payments and what protections and safeguards are in place is available on the DWP website.


Universal Credit will be paid monthly in arrears to one person in the household.  If you can't manage monthly payments of Universal Credit or you're having trouble budgeting, you may be able to have an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA). This can mean paying your Universal Credit more often than monthly, splitting it between you and your partner, or paying Universal Credit for your rent direct to your landlord.

View full details on payment options on Gov.uk

Council tax support claimants

Help with council tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. The DWP will not accept a claim for council tax support at the same time as you claim Universal Credit.

You must apply for council tax support directly through our benefits service once you have applied for Universal Credit. If you don't apply for your council tax support at this time, you may not receive your maximum entitlement.

Where can I get help and advice?

Job Centre

  • Your local job centre will be able to advise you on Universal Credit, payments and budgeting support. If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment please speak to your work coach.
  • If you need financial help before your UC payment is due and meet certain conditions, you can ask for an advanced payment. Please note that future payments will be reduced to pay for this advance.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

  • The DWP aim to deliver support and information to help those affected to understand the changes and prepare for the move to Universal Credit.
  • For further information, you can contact the DWP on the Universal Credit helpline: 0345 600 0723 or visit the Universal Credit webpages for more information.
  • Further information for landlords and tenants to help them prepare for the move to direct payments and what protections and safeguards are in place.


Find out how Universal Credit will affect you