Council tax

Don't fall victim to Council Tax scammers. We won't phone you to say you are to receive a Council Tax refund.  Read more here.

Council Tax is a locally set tax that is charged on domestic properties which helps to pay for the services provided by all the local authorities in your area. These include Derbyshire Dales District Council, Derbyshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Authority and the Town or Parish Council where you live.

Derbyshire Dales District Council needs income to provide services to the community including refuse collection, housing, leisure facilities, planning and development services and environmental services.

There are rules for who is liable to pay the Council Tax. In general, where a dwelling is occupied, the owners (if it is owner/occupied) or tenants (if it is rented) will be liable, provided they are aged 18 or over. Only persons aged 18 or over are classed as residents of a dwelling.

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. Each dwelling has been allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1st April 1991.

Since 1st April 2013, Councils have been able to make an additional charge, called a premium, in respect of properties that have been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 24 months or longer. Many Councils have been charging the premium since then. Derbyshire Dales District Council didn’t originally charge the premium but decided to introduce it from 1st April 2019. Therefore, unless an exemption from Council Tax applies, a premium of 100% is payable on any property that has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 24 months or longer (meaning that twice the usual rate of Council Tax is payable). It should be noted that this 24 month period does not restart if there is a change in the ownership of the property – it always runs from the first day that the property became unoccupied and substantially unfurnished.  

Derbyshire Dales District Council decided to introduce the premium in order to encourage owners of long term empty homes to bring them back in to use through sale or renting.




How you can help us

  • Tell us straight away if you move home or business, or if there is any change in your circumstances especially if you are receiving council tax benefit, a discount, an exemption or business rate relief.
  • Put your payer reference number on all correspondence sent to us
  • Answer our requests for information as soon as possible