Final weekend of our 2019 Matlock Bath Illuminations this Saturday & Sunday. Book cheaper advance tickets here to avoid disappointment

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish


Do you need help paying your Council Tax or Rent?

If you are on a low income then you may be entitled to help with your Council Tax or rent. We also have a full online benefit calculator which will also enable you to make a claim electronically.

Tenants claiming for help with the rent payable to a Housing Association or social sector landlord can claim Housing Benefit. Claimants residing in privately rented accommodation will claim Local Housing Allowance – with the maximum amount received limited to Government set rates linked to the numbers of bedrooms occupied.
The Government has introduced various Welfare Reform changes over the last few years – look elsewhere on this website for full details.

The most important change recently is the introduction of Universal Credit replacing Housing Benefit for most working age residents. Note that even if you can’t claim Housing Benefit, you should still contact us to claim Council Tax Support. Pensioners can still claim help towards their rent as Housing Benefit. Please contact us advice about your rights and entitlements.

For tenants of private landlords, the Directgov website will give information on the amount of Local Housing Allowance that can be paid.

The following documents are also available for you to download and print:

or alternatively contact the Benefits Section at the Town Hall (telephone 01629 761188) and request a form.

Common questions relating to benefits along with the answers
If you are on a low income then you may be entitled to financial assistance


Town Hall, Bank Road
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NN
01629 761 188
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.