Concerns and complaints

Reporting concerns about food safety

You can report a food problem in a restaurant, a food shop or with food ordered online to the Environmental Health Service. We will investigate the issue and take any appropriate action.

You can report:

  • Suspected food poisoning
  • A foreign object found in your food
  • Dirty premises
  • Poor hand hygiene
  • Poor food handling
  • Food with visible signs of mould or decay
  • Food sold past its use-by date
  • Unavailable or incorrect allergy information.

If your concerns relate to poor-quality food and/or poor customer service then you should make contact with the business or ordering platform, or Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards Department.

Environmental Health work closely with Trading Standards in relation to Food Safety standards and sometimes make joint investigations where necessary.

Trading Standards can be contacted through the citizens advice website

Environmental Health can be contacted to raise any concerns about food safety.

Whilst we do not generally investigate anonymous complaints, anyone wishing to report a problem to us can be assured that it will be dealt with in confidence.

A-Z of services