To get a Private Hire Operator's Licence the District Council has to determine whether or not you are a 'fit and proper person' and whether the location you intend to use as the base is suitable. 'The Operator' means a person who makes provision for the initiation or acceptance of bookings for a Private Hire Vehicle. The main objective in licensing you as a Private Hire Operator is the safety of the public, who will be using your premises and vehicles and drivers arranged through them. To assist this decision you will also have to supply a current Basic Criminal Bureau check.
Am I eligible?
Your operating base must be located within the Derbyshire Dales District
Before applying for a Private Hire Operator's Licence, please read the District Council's Taxi Licensing Policy [PDF 1.2 MB] which includes guidelines relating to the relevance of previous convictions.
A Private Hire Operator's Licence is issued under the provisions of Part 11 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
The Licence Holder is also required to comply with the Licence conditions detailed in the District Council'sTaxi Licensing Policy.
Do I need another DBS check for my operator's application?
If you are a licensed driver with Derbyshire Dales District Council we may use your current DBS check to assist with determining your application - you must sign up to the Disclosure and Barring Service on-line update service to ensure that your check is current.
Will I need planning permission for my operators licence?
Please contact our Planning Department who will confirm if you need planning permission. The property you intend to use may require a 'change of use' through planning; depending on how many vehicles you intend to employ, the surrounding area's use (be it residential or commercial) and the use of signage and radio masts outside the property may affect a planning application.
Does my operating base have to be in Derbyshire Dales District?
The base for the operator's licence needs to be within Derbyshire Dales district. It is the Council's Policy to only grant a Private Hire Operator's licence for an operator with an operating base in the Derbyshire Dales District Council area. This is to ensure that proper regulation and enforcement measures may be taken by the Council. The law is quite clear that a private hire operator, all drivers and private hire vehicles must be licensed by the same authority.
As an operator, how should I run my business?
To operate you will require a telephone to receive calls and keep records in a bookings book and a complaints book. You will also be required to provide the name(s) and address(es) and dates of birth of all managers who will assume control of the booking of Private Hire Vehicles and drivers in your absence.
As an Operator you be required to keep a record of particulars of every hiring, invited or accepted as follows:
- Time and date of the booking.
- The date and time of the journey.
- Name and address of the hirer.
- How the booking was received.
- Time of pick-up and full address.
- Destination of the passenger.
- Licence number and call sign of the vehicle allocated.
- Time and driver name and call sign allocated the fare.
Records should be kept for a period of no more than 7 years.
Records for inspection
Other records to be kept at the operator's base (for inspection) include:
- All employed vehicle licence and registration numbers.
- Make, colour, engine size and year of manufacture.
- All employed vehicles insurance certificates and cover notes.
- Name and address of proprietor Name and address of drivers for each vehicle and badge number.
- The paper licences of drivers and vehicles will be retained by the operator whilst they are working for them.
- The above records must be able to be produced on request to any authorised officer of The Council for inspection.
How long does the Licence last for?
The licence is granted for 5 years and must be renewed 4 weeks prior to the expiry date of the licence. Please contact a member of the Licensing Team, as it may not be necessary for you to make an appointment to submit it in person, particularly if it is a renewal - 01629 761345. The Licensing team will endeavour to send out reminders at least 4 weeks prior to the expiry date of the licence but you should be aware that it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure that your licence does not expire.
- Application for a new Private Hire Operator's Licence - PDF [49 KB] / Word [190KB]
- Application to renew a Private Hire Operator's Licence - PDF [98.5KB] / Word [187KB]
- Business Operating Name Declaration - PDF [52KB]
The current fees and charges for these licences can be viewed here [PDF 134 KB]
Also please check that you have the following listed documents when you are ready to submit your application:
- Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- A list of all drivers and vehicles operated by you
- Public Liability Insurance – if premises are used by members of the public