We are experiencing problems with phone payments. For help please call 01629 761166

Council Tax explained

Council Tax is a locally set tax that is charged on domestic properties which helps to pay for the services provided by all the local authorities in your area. These include Derbyshire Dales District Council, Derbyshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Authority and the Town or Parish Council where you live. 

Derbyshire Dales District Council needs income to provide services to the community including refuse collection, housing, leisure facilities, planning and development services and environmental services.

There are rules for who is liable to pay the Council Tax. In general, where a dwelling is occupied, the owners (if it is owner/occupied) or tenants (if it is rented) will be liable, provided they are aged 18 or over. Only persons aged 18 or over are classed as residents of a dwelling.

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. Each dwelling has been allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1st April 1991.

Long Term Empty Premium 

Since 1st April 2013, Councils have been able to make an additional charge, called a premium, in respect of properties that have been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 24 months or longer.

  • Although other neighbouring councils chose to do this from 2013, Derbyshire Dales District Council delayed implementing this premium until 1st April 2019;
  • unless an exemption from Council Tax applies, a premium of 100% is payable on any property that has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 24 months or longer (meaning that twice the usual rate of Council Tax is payable);
  • It should be noted that this 24 month period does not restart if there is a change in the ownership of the property – it relates to the actual property and always runs from the first day that the property became unoccupied and substantially unfurnished.  

How you can help us

  • Tell us straight away if you move home or business, or if there is any change in your circumstances especially if you are receiving council tax benefit, a discount, an exemption or business rate relief.
  • Put your payer reference number on all correspondence sent to us
  • Answer our requests for information as soon as possible

Please contact us on 01629 818222 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that we can help you to get your payments back on track or provide help and advice if you are experiencing financial difficulties. 

Independent help is also available via Citizen’s Advice on 0808 278 7954 or Step Change via  www.stepchange.org where there is a variety of advice online for a range of debt problems 

A-Z of services