If you've just had a baby...

When you have a new baby, there are lots of things that need to be done.  One of these things is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told about the birth.  Until now, you had to contact all of them individually.

We're providing a service which can help you give the information to the Department for Works and Pensions.  If you want they can then pass this information on to a number of other organisations.

How the service can help you

You often have to contact several government departments and parts of the local council to give them the same information about the birth.  It's important that you do this as soon as possible as it may affect your entitlement, such as Child Benefit, Working Tax Credits or Child Tax Credits.

We want to make this easier for you, so if you want to use the service after registering the birth we will ask you some simple questions.  This means that you won't have to send a copy of the birth certificate in the post as we will contact the organisations that need to know on your behalf.

How you can contact us to use the service

If you would like to use the service please call or phone within these hours to make an appointment with the Registrar in whose district the birth occurred.  The service will be offered by the Registrar immediately after registration.

Ashbourne Registration District

Opening times Mon  1000 - 1230
Wed 1000 - 1230
Fri    1330 - 1600
Tel 01335 300 575

Matlock Register Office

Opening times Mon  1330 - 1630
Wed 1330 - 1630
Thu 1330 - 1630
Fri    1330 - 1630
Tel 01629 582 870

Further information about the Registration Service is available on the Derbyshire County Council website.

Information you will need to use the service

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can bring along the following information:

  • birth certificate (you may be registering the birth directly before you use this service)
  • The person(s) named on the birth register's National Insurance Number(s) and/or date of birth, address and telephone number
  • Details of any benefits the person(s) named on the birth register are receiving/have applied for
  • The partner of the person named on the birth register, (if they live in the same household) including their National Insurance Number and/or date of birth and information about any benefits they may be receiving

You will need to get the permission from these people to tell us about them before you use the service.

What happens to the information?

The following organisations can be contacted if you ask us to:

Using this service can, where certain conditions are met, help to speed up an application for Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit with HM Revenue & Customs if you are receiving  benefits that relate to your income (for example Income Support, or some types of Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance).  Please ask the advisor if you want to know more about this.