View our Bank Holiday arrangements, including leisure centre opening times

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Council Tax bill query answered

Some residents may have noticed that the average Council Tax increase for the coming year shown on bills posted during the last week doesn't appear to add up.

Although all agencies that get funding from your Council Tax - Derbyshire County Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council, the police and fire services and your local town/parish council - are levying increases of 2.6% or less, the average overall increase is shown as 3.5%.

This is because central government has stipulated that the 2% increase in Council Tax to cover Social Care must be shown separately on your bill from the council that provides this service (Derbyshire County Council).

However, if the County Council's 2% increase is added to the 2% Social Care element, then the overall increase levied by the County Council for 2017/18 is actually 4%. As the County's share of what you pay in Council Tax is around 70% (compared to the District Council's 12%) this explains why the average increase is actually 3.5%.

  • Your 2017/18 Council Tax bill is explained in more detail here.
Some residents may have noticed that the average Council Tax increase for the coming year shown on bills posted during the last week doesn

Find us on Facebook

 
 

Follow us on Twitter

Communications

Town Hall, Bank Road
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NN
01629 761 195
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.