- Wednesday, 13 August 2014 08:27
An investigation into fire damage to the plant room at our Ashbourne Leisure Centre has revealed that the pool will have to remain closed for the rest of the summer.
The leisure centre's pool hasn't been available since a blaze broke out late on Saturday 26 July, although all "dryside" facilities - including the fitness suite, sports hall and squash courts - have remained open as usual.
Various contractors, insurance assessors and specialists have now completed their inspections. Exact cost and timescales are not yet known, but the replacement of two damaged filtration units is the biggest time issue facing the District Council.
A spokesperson said:
"Once the insurance company has approved the works, like-for-like replacement could mean placing an overseas order and a lead time of several weeks. We are trying to source a faster alternative, but the likelihood is that we're now looking at the autumn at the earliest before the pool is back in use."
At one stage the blaze - thought to have started outside the building - spread to the roof, but fortunately the centre's new changing village, currently nearing completion, was not affected.
- Derbyshire police arrested a 16 year-old and two 18 year-olds following the fire. The teenagers have been released on bail.
Details for our Direct Debit Membership payers after the disappointing news that the pool will be shut for longer than we first thought :
- SWIMMING LESSONS: Your DDs have been frozen from 1st September and a refund for August is available from the Leisure Centre reception on debit card only.
- SWIMMING MEMBERSHIPS: The Leisure Centre has been trying to contact you, you can either freeze your DD, transfer to use the gym (at Ashbourne only) or continue paying so you can use our Arc Leisure Matlock or Bakewell Pool, a refund for August is also available from reception on debit card only.
- FITNESS FREEDOM: Your membership includes gym, swim, fitness classes and courts. Please contact reception if you would like to amend to gym-only while the pool is closed.
- CASH PASS SWIMMING MEMBERS: We will extend your pass once the pool re-opens or you can use the gym (at Ashbourne only) or our Arc Leisure Matlock or Bakewell Pool.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and support during this difficult time for us. Please contact reception if you require any information on 01335 343712 - they will be happy to help.