- Wednesday, 30 May 2012 12:24
Derbyshire Dales District Council has helped local people save over £43,000 in energy bills in the past year.
Last autumn the District Council urged residents to prepare for winter and beat rising energy prices by applying for subsidised loft and cavity wall insulation.
And 326 households did just that, resulting in an annual CO2 saving of 220 Tonnes.
The District Council's Warmstreets insulation scheme offers householders and private tenants free and discounted loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.
Call 0800 043 9569, or if calling from a mobile 0333 557 9569.
Warmstreets provides deals in renewable technologies, external wall insulation, replacement heating systems and other home improvements.
Chairman of Derbyshire Dales District Council's Environment Committee, Councillor Steve Bull, said:
"We've enjoyed a warm spell of late but our message is to prepare for winter now to save cash when you really need the energy.
"People can also think about upgrading heating systems, replacing old, energy-guzzling appliances, insulating hot water tanks and taking draught proof measures. Simple lifestyle changes such as not over-filling the kettle or using lids on saucepans can also reduce bills and save money. It is also possible to save money by switching energy supplier or changing your method of payment."
Despite the good work in encouraging people to make their homes more energy efficient, an estimated 24.4% households live in fuel poverty in the Derbyshire Dales.
Many residents rely on more expensive fuel types such as oil, where prices have been extremely turbulent over the last couple of years. Derbyshire Dales District Council is addressing this issue by working with Rural Action Derbyshire to promote an Oil Buying Scheme. The scheme was launched in November last year and has seen many members saving money on their heating oil. More information about the scheme is available online or phone 01629 824797.
The District Council ensures green measures are high on the agenda in the services it provides, including affordable local housing. The District Council's landmark development at Arc Leisure Matlock incorporates solar panels, rainwater recovery, and combined heating and power.
- Derbyshire Dales District Council is working in partnership with Apex Carbon Solutions to offer our Warmstreets insulation scheme.
- The Energy Saving Trust estimates that installing loft insulation could save a household around £145 a year on their energy bills and installing cavity wall insulation could save around £110 a year.
- Most homes built from 1920 onwards have a cavity that can be filled. Homes built in the last decade are highly likely to already have cavity wall insulation. Home built before 1920 are likely to have solid walls, but could benefit from external wall insulation.
- Residents can get more advice on saving energy by visiting www.everybodys-talking.org.
- Derbyshire Dales District Council is a member of the Local Authorities Energy Partnership. It supports and co-ordinates activities to tackle fuel poverty and climate change and to develop sustainable energy solutions across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.