The Equality Duty requires the District Council to publish one or more equality objectives every four years, aimed at tackling its priority equality issues. Setting specific and measurable objectives helps the District Council meet the overall aims of the Duty i.e. to:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- advance equality of opportunity between all persons
- foster good relations between all persons
The District Council used the Equality in formation it published in January 2012 and Corporate Plan Priorities 2011-15 [PDF 10.9KB] to help inform its draft objectives. Consultation was then carried out between February and March 2012 to gain the views of equalities organisations and groups operating in the Dales. The views of local voluntary and community organisations, public sector partners in the Peak District and employees were also sought. The majority of respondents were supportive of the proposed objectives.
The equality objectives have now been finalised and are available to view below. Progress towards implementing the objectives will be monitored as part of the District Council's performance management arrangements, and actions reviewed on an annual basis.
- Equality objectives 2012 – 2016 – updated February 2016 [PDF 16KB]
- Equality Objectives 2012-15 [PDF - 0.1MB]
- Equality Objectives Performance [PDF - 38KB]
- Progress towards Equality Objectives 2014-15 [PDF 0.02MB]
In addition to setting these objectives, the District Council will continue to work towards eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation, advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations across its functions as appropriate.