Digital Derbyshire is a £34 million partnership between Derbyshire County Council, Broadband Delivery UK, BT, D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership and the European Regional Development Fund to bring fibre broadband to more than 100,000 premised across the county.
Hundreds of miles of fibre optic cable are being laid – which provides a faster broadband connection than the old copper cables – and now it's available to order in parts of our District.
If you run a business in the area then fibre broadband could help you. Fast and reliable broadband can help drive up profits by expanding your customer base, helping to compete on a global marketplace – even from a rural location - and allowing management tasks such as accounting and filing to be done more efficiently and effectively online.
So far, a total of 55 green roadside cabinets containing the fibre connection have gone live as part of the Digital Derbyshire programme in the Derbyshire Dales. This is in addition to the commercial coverage which already exists for some homes and businesses in the area. A further thirty cabinets are due to be installed by the end of 2016, with more expected to go live in the second phase of the programme between 2016-2018.
To order fibre broadband follow these five simple steps.
- Check if fibre broadband is available in your area at www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk/check
- Check your current broadband contract. You may be locked in for a particular period of time but some companies may allow you to upgrade.
- Do your research. Visit www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk/providers for information about comparison websites that allow you to compare broadband packages.
- Make your decision. Once you have chosen your broadband provider you will need to get in touch with them to place your order. They should explain what you need to do to get up and running.
- Order and Installation. Once you have placed an order for fibre broadband, your provider will tell you how and when your broadband will be installed.
For more information visit www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk