The special character and appearance of the Derbyshire Dales is an invaluable asset.
The appearance of barns and farm buildings and the relationship they have with their surroundings, is an important element of local landscape character, which varies throughout the District. The landscape that provides the immediate setting for barns and farm buildings makes a significant contribution to their character and to the character of the site itself.
The Council is committed to achieving a high standard of design in the conversion of farm buildings to alternatives uses, and this Supplementary Planning Document seeks to:
- To expand upon Local Development Plan Policy to provide more detailed and practical design advice for the conversion of farm building.
- Inform the reader of building forms and details distinct to traditional farm buildings within Derbyshire Dales.
- Promote an approach to design based on an understanding of the qualities which contribute to local distinctiveness and sense of place in the Derbyshire Dales.
- Offers greater certainty to owners/developers in understanding the aspirations of the Council, and;
- Form the basis for the assessment of planning applications.
The Supplementary Planning Document will apply to that part of the Derbyshire Dales District Council area for which it is the local planning authority, and will form part of the Derbyshire Dales Local Development Framework. The Council adopted this Supplementary Planning Document on 24th November 2005.
The Conversion of Barns SPD (2005) (PDF 1139KB)
Conversion of Farm Buildings Scoping Report (PDF 389KB)