Apologies but we are currently experiencing technical issues with the Touch Tone automatic telephone payment line. The system is unable to retrieve balances on accounts. However, payments can still be made without this functionality. The problem will be rectified as soon as possible.

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

How to apply

There are two ways of making an application for domestic works (Building Notice and Full Plans). Application forms are available to download in the relevant sections below, from our Building Control Office or can be download from the LABC Services (Local Authority Building Control) website at www.labc.co.uk. Payments can be made online using our online payment portal.

1. Building Notices

If you choose this option, no detailed plans are required as the emphasis is on site supervision. You simply need to fill out a form advising your local Building Control department of your intention to carry out building work and pay the appropriate charge. The building notice is particularly suited to simple domestic schemes such as internal alterations and small extensions. Plan(s) or details may be requested in some situations (e.g. structural calculations for loft conversions / through rooms etc) but only when absolutely necessary.

Without plans there is no detailed check of the work before it is carried out and therefore no official decision notice is issued. Whilst the Building Control Surveyor will try to anticipate potential problems it is ultimately the responsibility of the person carrying out the work to ensure that the requirements of the regulations are satisfied.

Building Notice Application Form [PDF 44KB]

Building Notice Application Form [DOC 701KB]

Building Control Charge Scheme [PDF 79KB]

2. Full Plans

Prior to the commencement of work on site you will need to submit two copies of your plans showing full constructional details of the proposed scheme, together with the completed form and appropriate plan charge. Unless you have a thorough working knowledge of the regulations, and building construction in general, it is best to seek professional advice in this regard.

Your application will be checked by one of your local surveyors and if the plans show compliance with the regulations they will be approved. Our surveyor will advise you of any amendments required prior to approval.

Our aim is to process your application as quickly as possible, and well within the statutory time limit.

Site inspections will be made when work proceeds but with the full plans approach you have the assurance that providing the work is carried out in accordance with the approval plans the regulations will be satisfied.

Building Control Full Plan Application Form [43KB PDF]

Building Control Full Plan Application Form [706KB DOC]

Building Control Charge Scheme [PDF 79KB]

3. Regularisation

If building alterations have been carried out on your property without Building Regulation approval, you can make a retrospective application; this is called a Regularisation application. The application is deposited with the Council and the appropriate fee paid.

The Regularisation Form and Charges Scheme are available to view and download at the end of this section. 

When the application has been accepted, the Building Inspector will need to inspect the work. It may be necessary to 'open up' certain parts of the works, the Inspector will advise you accordingly. When the work shows compliance a completion certificate will be issued.

Building Control Regularisation Application Form [PDF 34KB]

Building Control Regularisation Application Form [DOC 692KB] 

Please call the office on the number below to discuss the relevant fee's.

Please note: your application and any information relating to it may be disclosed in response to a request under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI).

Building Control

Town Hall, Bank Road
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NN
01629 761 321
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.