Home Options

Home options logoHome-Options is the Choice Based Lettings scheme for the Derbyshire Dales. It is the way to apply for social housing in the district.

Every week, social landlords advertise their empty properties on the Home Options website.  You can then search for an empty property that meets your needs, in a place where you want to live.

When you have registered with Home-Options, you can then place a "bid" on a property. This means you have expressed your interest in it. You do not use money to "bid". At the end of the week, the property is normally offered to the person who has bid on it who is in the highest priority band, or who has been in that band for the longest time if there is more than one person.

Unlike the old waiting list system, you have to be active and bid for any property you wish to live in. You will not be offered any property unless you have chosen to bid for it. That's why it's called Choice Based Lettings.

How do I apply?

You can find more information and apply online on the Home-Options website.

Do I have to use the internet to use Home-Options?

No. You can visit our offices at the Town Hall, Matlock and complete an application with a member of staff, or contact our Home-Options team on 01629 761117 or 01629 761311 who can take an application over the telephone:

If you do not wish to use the internet to place bids.  You can place bids by telephone, by text message, or by coupon bidding.

If you need any assistance to use Home Options, please do not hesitate to contact us.  We can also provide information in other formats or other languages to help you to access the scheme.

Other options

Please note that Home-Options does not mean there are any more properties available. There are still many more people in need of housing than there are vacant properties, and some properties receive over a hundred bids.

If you are in a low band, and you find that you are consistently being placed low on long shortlists, this means you are likely to have a long wait for social housing. You may wish to consider other options, such as private rented housing. Our Housing  team can give you advice on this.