A taxi rank is the only place where you can hire a taxi while it's stationery.
Hackney Carriages (taxis) can be hailed (flagged down) directly from the street and hired from taxi ranks.
Taxi ranks in Derbyshire Dales District are located in the following places:
- Firs Parade, Matlock - operates 24 hours – Monday to Sunday
- Olde English Road, Matlock - operates between 20.00 and 03.00.
- Bus Station, Matlock - operates 24 hours – Monday to Sunday
- Pavilion, Matlock Bath – operates between 18.00 – 03.00 – Monday to Sunday
- Market Street, Bakewell - Operates in the daytime only – Tuesday to Sunday
- Rutland Square (Red Lion), Bakewell – operates daytime on Mondays only.
- Rutland Square (Park Gate), Bakewell – Operates between 19.00 – Midnight – Monday to Sunday.
Please Note: A Private Hire Vehicle cannot be 'flagged down' or hired from a taxi rank. The law requires that a Private Hire Vehicle must be pre-booked.
Private Hire licensed operators
Alternatively, plan ahead and book a private hire taxi from a licensed firm or carry their telephone number with you. Always make sure the taxi has licensed plates displayed - one small plate is displayed on the front windscreen, one big plate is fixed to the rear number plate of the vehicle and the driver has identification. The driver will confirm the name you booked the taxi under.
Using a licensed taxi by booking in advance or using the taxi rank means:
The vehicle will have met specified standards set by the District Council. The driver is a fit and proper person The vehicle is insured You can agree on a price at the start of the journey (if you book a private hire vehicle).
What is a Hackney Carriage?
This is a Taxi that parks on a designated Taxi Rank in Derbyshire Dales District and various other locations within the District. You can hop into this vehicle by flagging the vehicle down or by going to a vehicle on the Taxi Rank (Just like you would in London). The fares charged to you when using these vehicles are controlled by the Authority and the meters are tested and sealed.
- Hackney Carriage Vehicles are marked by a small yellow internal plate displayed on the front windscreen, two big yellow door stickers to the front doors which identify the license number of the vehicle and a big yellow plate fixed to the rear number plate of the vehicle. The two plates will show the registration number of the vehicle, expiry date of the licence and the number of passengers that the vehicle is licensed to carry. The vehicle might display the Company Name and Telephone Number on rear doors only.
- Hackney carriages have an illuminated roof sign
- Hackney carriages have a meter set to district council's correct tariff
- Hackney carriages display the table of fares inside
What is a Private Hire Vehicle?
This is a licensed vehicle that you book to take you home after a night out, to take you to the Airport or bring you back from the Airport, etc. The journey has to be pre-booked. These vehicles are ordinary cars/minibuses not Taxis. The fares charged to you are negotiable and not fixed.
A Private Hire Vehicle is marked by a small green and yellow internal plate displayed on the front windscreen, two big green and yellow door stickers on the front doors which identify the license number of the vehicle and a big green and yellow plate fixed to the rear number plate of the vehicle. The two plates will show the registration number of the vehicle, expiry date of the licence, and the number of passengers that the vehicle is licensed to carry. The vehicle might display the Company Name and Telephone Number on rear doors only.
What to look for when using one of the above Vehicles?
Look for 5 important items every time you use a Taxi or Mini Cab. These following items will ensure that you are travelling in safety:
- Two Door Stickers - one at each side of the front doors
- One Plate – fixed to the rear number plate of the vehicle. The plate will show the registration number of the vehicle, expiry date of the licence, and the number of passengers that the vehicle is licensed to carry.
- A small internal plate displayed on the front windscreen displaying the same details as the plate at the back of the vehicle.
- Once inside the vehicle the driver will have a badge which should be displayed on the dashboard.
- All drivers carry identification and must produce it if asked
If the vehicle you go to does not have the items listed above clearly displayed then don't get in it
Taxi driver checks
Taxi drivers in Derbyshire Dales District undergo a series of checks and tests to ensure they are a 'fit and proper' before they qualify for a licence:
- The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) use their disclosure service to search an individual's criminal record to establish whether or not they are a safe person to drive members of the public.
- The Intelligent Data Systems (a specialists provider for DVLA check) will check the individual's driving history.
- A medical examination ensures the individual is physically able to carry out the work required of a licensed driver. This may involve lifting heavy objects such as luggage and possibly people's wheelchairs.
- Individuals undergo a knowledge test designed to find out whether they are capable of driving in a safe manner to a number of locations throughout Derbyshire Dales.
All these important items will indicate to you that you are being driven by a Licensed Driver who has been proved to be a fit and proper person in the interest of Public Safety and that the Vehicle has also been passed by the Authority and Licensed to carry passengers, again, in the interest of Public Safety.
If you have any problems or doubts please get in tough with the licensing section.