The Environmental Health Section can investigate complaints about food premises, such as dirty conditions or unhygienic food handling by staff. We also investigate complaints about food that has been sold in the Derbyshire Dales area. For example, if a customer finds an unexpected object in their food, or purchases food that is mouldy or has gone off.
Investigations are carried out to try to establish where the problem occurred and to determine whether or not the situation compromised food safety and/or contravenes any relevant legislation. The District Council will work with the food business to suggest measures which may prevent any future similar incidents and will take all reasonable steps to remedy any unsatisfactory situations. A range of options are available to us including legal action if it is considered appropriate.
In addition we help other local authorities investigate food complaints, if the food has been made in the Derbyshire Dales area.
Complaints that the District Council will investigate include:
- people smoking in kitchens, store rooms or preparation rooms
- pets or animals in kitchens, store rooms or preparation rooms
- sightings of vermin, pests or evidence of either on food premises
- poor levels of cleanliness in kitchens, store rooms or preparation rooms
- poor food handling practices
- Illness associated with food consumed from a food premises (please see the webpage on food poisoning)
The District Council will accept anonymous complaints but will use our judgement whether or not to take action depending on the information given and the risk posed.
These complaints relate only to food safety. Please note that selling food past a "Best Before" date is not a food safety issue. In addition the District Council does not get involved in any compensation claims. Compensation claims are a civil matter that you must take up with the manufacturer.
Certain food complaints are investigated by Trading Standards at Derbyshire County Council, for example food that:
- Is sold past its 'Use By' or 'Best Before' date
- Has no 'Use By' or 'Best Before' date
- Has the wrong labelling or is inappropriately labelled
- Is described wrongly or misleadingly on the packaging
- Is not of the declared weight
- Is of poor quality
Derbyshire Dales District Council
Tel: 01629 761 212
Fax: 01629 761 165