Bulky waste refers to items that are too large to be taken away with the normal refuse collection. This can mean items such as furniture, white goods, fridges and freezers.
Large items of waste can be collected from your property, the following charges apply:
|Type of Collection||Charge £|
|Up to 3 Bulky Items||19.70|
|Between 4 and 6 Bulky Items||32.00|
|Electrical Items - 1 item||16.90|
|Electrical Items - 2 - 3 items||22.40|
Householders over the age of 65 years and in receipt of Housing or Council Tax benefit are entitled to receive a 50% concession per household per year between 1 April and 31 March on the following collections:
- Up to 6 bulky items
- Up to 3 Electrical Items
This concession should be requested at the time of placing the order and residents will be asked to supply their benefit claim reference number.
The following items are classed as electrical Items:
- washing machines
- spin driers
- tumble driers
- vacuum cleaners
- lawn mowers
How to Pay
- Telephone the Waste Hotline on 01629 761 122 to pay by credit/debit card
- Call in to the offices at Matlock and pay by credit/debit card, or cheque*
- Send a cheque* or postal order* to
Derbyshire Dales District Council
(* made payable to Derbyshire Dales District Council)
Payment must be made in advance of the collection being made. Please note there is a 2% surcharge on all payments made by credit card.
A full list of the items to be collected must be given at the time of making the request. Additional items cannot be added to a request once made.
All items must be presented for safe collection, outside buildings, easily accessible i.e. not behind locked gates, in one place and within reasonable carrying distance of the collection vehicle. Items must not be unreasonably heavy.
Items which can not be collected
- Excavated material, including soil and sods, clay, gravel, stone, broken concrete, tarmac, etc.
- Greenhouses, sheds, panes of glass, window-frames, internal or external doors, garage doors, concrete slabs, bricks, blocks, plaster, cement, timber, radiators, fireplaces, gas fires, boilers.
- Bathroom fittings i.e. toilet, bath, shower base, shower-screen, wash-hand basin, bidet.
- Kitchen cupboards or base units and sink units.
- Water tanks and cylinders.
- Heaps or piles of loose branches.
- Gas cylinders.
- Liquid waste including any flammable liquids and paint.
- Motor vehicle or motorcycle parts including wheels and tyres.
- Hazardous household waste e.g. household chemicals, herbicides, insecticides.
We will not collect any waste created on household premises by builders, plumbers, decorators, gardeners, electricians, joiners, odd-job men, glaziers, double-glazing installers, central-heating installers, fitted-kitchen installers or any other tradesmen. All contractors should remove the waste they produce when carrying out any work on your property.
Householders who wish to remove large amounts of waste, or waste that does not fall within the definition of 'household waste', should look for contractors in the Yellow Pages under such headings as 'Skip Hire' or 'House Clearance', or in the local newspapers.
Derbyshire County Council provide Household Waste Recycling Centres for the disposal of waste from households.